A few questions from a noob...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've been searching all over the internet and know if anyone can help me it's you guys.

First, my bike is a 61' Schwinn Tornado. I got it off craigslist free and the only salvagable things were a rusted pitted frame and forks. Everything was then stripped clean and sandblasted. Before I could pick it up from the blaster he sent it to a buddy and it was powder coated!!WHAAA!???!!
I guess they thought they were helping me but they didn't sand anything and coated the rust pits in. Geez. Sooo, my questions are:

1) can I sand the powder coat then bondo and then paint it? Will bondo stick to powder coat and do you recommend a certain brand? I can't seem to get a reliable answer from anyone.
2) what is a good reliable online parts dealer for replacing everything else? I mean everything...all I have are a frame and forks....Is there a "noob" parts list that I can use to get started....
3) I only have 50 bucks in it so far, but I looked up the Schwinn ID and it's my birthday a few years early....sooo, I kinda feel like I'm supposed to fix this thing up...plus I'm an artist, so I feel the need to create and make this thing a work of art....

Thanks for all the help and I'm glad to be here!
Voodoocurt

Can't answer about the powdercoating, but I'd investigate possible methods of stripping it. Regarding where to buy parts, there are several. I've found the best prices (typically) at Niagara Cycleworks. It helps that Niagara Falls is only a little over an hour drive from me, so the shipping is quick. But there are a lot of bike parts on Amazon.com, you can finding really everything you could need there as well.

How nice of parts do you want? You want rat or total resto? (Total resto may not be worth it cost wise) but i would ask for what you need in the wanted section here! I personaly have parts i could sell you! I could help you withwhat you need pm me if you have any questions...this forum will help u a ton!

Thanks guys for the ideas, I want to replace vs. restore....I'm not looking to spend a ton on it, because it was free. I just want a nice bike that I can be proud of after I'm done.

V

Peatbog said:
Powder coat would probably be an excellent "primer" for paint if you sand it first.

Have you tried it? I've heard just the opposite. I've only seen a couple of builds where they painted another color over the powder coat. I was told it's hard to get paint to stickto PC. Gary

I would call the powder coating people and ask them. I have heard from my local body shop that it is a pain to get off, i think you will need to sand or grind it off, strippers wont work. Does it really look that bad, maybe you can work the pits into the theme of it, as an artist be creative and make it work. (fellow artist type here)

Yes you can use the powder coat as a base color, fill and paint over it.
It is not well known but the Schwinn Phantom replicas were powder coated black then the red was painted on before being clear coated.

Yes, you can bondo over the powdercoat. As for the painting, I would de-golss before painting. A fine grit sandpaper or sanding block would do it. If you dont de-gloss the new paint would be easily scraped, scratched or peeled off.I am far from an expert, but I have painted a lot of different things. In my experience, that would be the way to go.

It's been 35 yrs since I worked in a body shop. We would use bondo, then primer. if there was still small pits (this is my point), we would use glaze. It was in a tube and I do not remember having to add hardener like bondo. It was light blue in color. It makes a smooth surface.

As far as your bike build; You might consider building it as-is, powder coated. If you are thrilled with it as a complete bike and still hate the finish, re-do it then.

Good Luck and check out all the cool different finishes on this site. Mick

I tend to agree with B607. If you want to try to paint over the PC, I'd take it back to the sand blast guy, and get him to de-gloss it with some fine sand. Make sure he gets all the nooks and crannys.

Thank ya'll so much for the ideas. I am going to sand the PC, bondo then paint it and hope for the best. I hope to have some pictures of a build pretty soon. Thanks again for the ideas and thoughts, this really is a great site.

V

Chemical paint remover will take off the powder coat, for the parts, you can buy a new bike for parts, A "Donor Bike" wheels parts and things instead of finding very old stuff.

Latest posts

Back