A few of my Roadsters.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two I've finished recently. They're the kind of basic old Australian utility bike that is plentiful and cheap down here. The big wheels give a smooth ride but are capable of some serious speed too. :wink:

Mid '50s Repco roadster, original paint, 28" wheels, westwood rims, coaster brake hub, flipped bars, NOS leather 'Bell 40' saddle.

6480906869_d3d9e004a7_z.jpg

6480907259_b2813cd263_z.jpg

6480907811_9d76523576_z.jpg

Mid '20s unidentified roadster. Haven't been able to identify the maker of this frame. Probably a small local builder who is long gone and forgotton. Sprayed semi gloss black (orig paint was already gone), 28" wheels, westwood rims, coaster brake hub, Major Taylor stem, flipped bars, gallows seatpost, NOS leather 'Bell 70' saddle, Williams cranks.

6480906535_81928ce1aa_z.jpg

6480906083_bcb6eee7b4_z.jpg

6480905727_0a92b5c4a7_z.jpg

Wow - really cool, and the geometry of that black one's frame is wild! :shock:

Thanks for the comments guys. :D

Eibmoz28 said:
Hey mate that black bike you have got is very similar to the one I've got. Here is the link to my Bike I.D thread.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49109#p471359

Yep, head lugs and fork crowns do look similar but there's a few important differences too. Your bike has pressed tube dropouts, seatstay ends and front fork tips. My Repco above has the same style (and so do most other bikes that were built for a lower price because it was so fast to produce). The black bike has forged BSA type fittings and the rear dropouts have a snail cam setup for chain tensioning (which I'm not using atm).

The problem with unmarked bikes and especially squashed tube frames is the hundreds of small builders that were scattered all around the country, all building roadsters that looked similar because of generic lug sets and generic frame design and most of them closed 40+ years ago with no recorded info. It drives me nuts owning bikes and not knowing who made them but there's not much you can do sometimes. :?

Yep, head lugs and fork crowns do look similar but there's a few important differences too. Your bike has pressed tube dropouts, seatstay ends and front fork tips. My Repco above has the same style (and so do most other bikes that were built for a lower price because it was so fast to produce). The black bike has forged BSA type fittings and the rear dropouts have a snail cam setup for chain tensioning (which I'm not using atm).

:shock: You know I never really noticed that before about the pressed tubes. So what era would you say my bike would be from?
Its a bit funny that both your posted bikes have similarity to my one bike.

The problem with unmarked bikes and especially squashed tube frames is the hundreds of small builders that were scattered all around the country, all building roadsters that looked similar because of generic lug sets and generic frame design and most of them closed 40+ years ago with no recorded info. It drives me nuts owning bikes and not knowing who made them but there's not much you can do sometimes. :?

I've been trying for a while now to figure out what type of bike it is. Tomorrow I mite give the paint stripper another shot and see if I can get through the grey paint to the red, maybe there is a makers name still on the down tube(fingers crossed).

Thank you for your time to reply and opening my eyes to a few things.

Josh

Back