A barn full of old bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to RatRodBikes so here is a little about the mega pick. A man in New York City had a bike shop in the mid 1970s. He closed it and moved everything to Maryland's Eastern Shore, where he put it in a barn. Last fall my business partner stumbled upon the existence of this treasure. We bought everything in the barn. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58852998@N07/7165378858/
If I did that link wrong you can see more here http://www.ontherivet.com that is our bike shop website.

I know what I will be doing for the rest of my life. :D

This happens in real life?! You can't possibly play with all those bikes by yourself. What do you plan to do with them?

jeeze, a Paramount with 50th Anniv Campy, nice. What a find; all of it.

Well first we went through all of the bikes and pulled out the really unique ones, The ones that can be restored are being restored and the really toasted go into a pile for scrap. I know it hurts me too but a fully restored Raleigh would only be $150-$200 so not worth the time. I will be posting before and after shots of the restored bikes on our website.

What a way to start off on a new site. who would have thought there would a honey hole like that just a couple hours away from where I used to live.

DON'T SCRAP THE OLD JUNK ONES! Some of them can be a goldmine for parts, I'm on the chase for a Huffy rack myself. TWO of them!

partsguy said:
DON'T SCRAP THE OLD JUNK ONES! Some of them can be a goldmine for parts, I'm on the chase for a Huffy rack myself. TWO of them!

I agree!! post pictures of the ones you plan on scrapping incase somebody on here needs parts off of them. Im sure you could get a lot more parting them out than scrapping them off

The "it's not worth it for the time" attitude. :roll:

For the love of pie just hold a junk sale, you'll probably get 5 to 10 times as much money as you would if you sold the bikes for scrap. Plus nobody will be after your hide for destroying perfectly good parts sources. If you came across a barn of old cars you wouldn't scrap the model Ts just because there was a Dusenberg in the lot. :mrgreen:

If you find a Columbia roadster or three speed in there, let me know. I know it's not worth $200 but it's worth a LOT more than you'd get from scrapping it. :wink:

Also, those wald front racks that you probably think are worthless, mail them to me, I'll even pay postage for the honor of throwing them in the trash. :lol: :lol: :lol:

partsguy said:

+200, I have sold complete rust buckets for $50 each for yard art. Save it all to sell it all.

Sinner4 said:
partsguy said:

+200, I have sold complete rust buckets for $50 each for yard art. Save it all to sell it all.

I just bought a very rare tail light bezel for a Huffy Silver Jet for $77.77 (why the seller started it at that I'll never know. He has a seven fetish I suppose). I need the rack. If it's straigh, I'd offer $40 for it. It takes you less than 5 minutes to remove.

that driveshaft pope is just to cool!

Just to put your minds at ease, we are not scrapping anything that is remotely collectable, cool, old etc. but there is only so much you can do with rusted solid rims off late 70's early 80's Schwinn travelers, suburbans, collegiate. :)

Well you said you'd scrap a raleigh because it wouldn't be worth it to "restore" - that's a bit different that scrapping taco'd wheels. :wink:

beatcad said:
that driveshaft pope is just to cool!

WAIT A MINUTE... there's a driveshaft Pope??? I didn't see that.

that's one of my Grail bikes.

ooo, that's a long drive from CT Clarkster. How about I meet you there? First round is on me.

Back