9ike industries presents: Cloud 9. now with foot brake!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Huffy klunker from bigcam for $30. It was perfect for what I wanted, a cantilever frame that I didnt mind cutting up to do something radical to. My uncle gave me his wire feed welder (no gas) so I brought it to ElChupacabra's house where I had a place to weld. While i was at work the day before I was trying to envision what I could do to the bike and sketched out a low-slung beast with only a couple inches between the bottom bracket and the ground, but not a burrito. I decided the best way to basically 'body drop' the bike was to cut the chain stay/seat stay/rear dropout section off of the bike and flip it upside-down. The front will have a home made leaf spring springer fork that will kick the front wheel up and out. Since the bottom bracket will only be a few inches from the ground I'll be welding on a second BB on the front of the bottom tube. On to the pics of what I have started:

the start
fs6.jpg

disassembly
P1013861.jpg

P1013862.jpg

P1013865.jpg

P1013866.jpg

P1013876.jpg

notice the bike is upside down in this pic
P1013880.jpg

initial mockup
P1013868.jpg

P1013869.jpg

P1013872.jpg

Re: body drop huffy project. needs a name :)

When I've seen this done before, the dropouts are flipped as well. I don't know if that's your intention, but it seems to me to be the way to go.

We thought about the dropouts facing the wrong direction and what to do with that. Not my bike. Im not gonna have to ride it... lolol

I did something close with my schwinn, but I cut the bottom and extended it and re-arched the rear section of the cant...
This is the only pic so far..
9933_1042775645417_1706370179_88434_242634_n.jpg

Amazing how with so little the bike changes so much.
I´m so flipping the back part next time I attack on a cruiser.

Keep up the good work!

Cool idea, but I'd flip the dropouts like they said.
I can imagine that wheel coming loose and giving one nice little ... burn :shock:

drabe said:
Cool idea, but I'd flip the dropouts like they said.
I can imagine that wheel coming loose and giving one nice little butt burn :shock:

I think that as long as you always cranked the wheel up really tight to the frame, you'd be fine. It might look cool to trade those dropouts out for some rear facing ones rather than flipping them, if you felt inclined to change them.

I always thought that you could just put on a pair of those little axle brackets (normally on road bikes from what I've seen) that have the ring around the axle that has a bolt end on it with a bracket that hooks over the dropout edge and a butterfly nut holding it in place. Yours would just be set up backwards (but 'natural' to the frame... If you know what I mean). Hope this helps mate. Good work anyway mate, the flip gives the bike a real sled/sloper look. 8)

Thats a good idea CrackedPiston. Hopefully we'll get to work on this again tonight. Also maybe work on my Burrito build. I know Excitebike got some material to work on the custom springer front. Cant wait to see what he wants to do. He needs to finish it cause Im running out of room in my basement for bikes and Im lookin to do a few more flips in the next week or so...

Are you going to change the crank mount or use the stock location? I went with some schwinn lil chick cranks and still scrape the pedds...
I love the look and will love to see it finished..

I know he wants to stretch the front end and weld in a new BB further forward on the frame. Not stock location...

Thanks for the input on the dropouts everyone. I have a few ideas of what to do to solve the rear, but last night I tackled the front end and a few odds and ends. It was too late to grind and weld by the time i hot to elchupacabras place. I had a fork from a road bike with a crazy kick out that I wanted to try out after doubting the springer. Turns out it lowered the front of the bike almost to the height i wanted it to be and looks AWESOME. Steers like a dream too. With the new fork the stem I was using didnt work so I swapped it for the drop stem from the roadbike. I LOVE how that part turned out. Chup has a Huffy cruiser hes selling that he took the front fender off of, and now its my rear fender. The offroad tires were getting to me and I looked at the sears bike I got from bigcam and decided the "little" tires would look good. Chup had a whitewall english 3 speed tire he wasnt using so it went on the rusty sears front wheel. Also mounted up a Raleigh springer seat my gf gave me from her bike we put a different seat on. Finally the kickstand was chopped and torched to accommodate the new shape of the bike. So far I'm in love with how this build is turning out. All I have for now is 3 iPhone pics. Let me know what you think!

image1ag.png

imagewt.png

photozmc.jpg

I'm lovin' it!
Really has that drag bike feel to it, especially with the skinny front tire.
Is that a 26" front and 24" rear?

Re: body drop huffy project. name: Cloud 9

Straight bars! lol. I kept buggin Excitebike to put straight bars on it but he wouldnt budge. We got some awesome work done last night. The bike looks insane. The pictures dont do it any justice. Glad to be a part of this one. Cant wait for completion...

I like the bars that are on it now, but I could just as easily see straight bars on it.
I could also see one of those 4" wide chopper wheel/tires in the back!
Maybe even a motorcycle tank (could build one out of fiberglass that flows with the frame)!

Some folks don't care for the skinny front wheels, but I dig em! This bike is one big bucket O'coolness! :mrgreen: ~Adam

Back