80cc idling too high -- RESOLVED!!!! :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have an 80cc bike engine and there is a problem.

The RPMs are way too high and I can't slow it down using the carburetor adjustment screw; there is zero effect. The choke works fine. When the bike is on its kickstand, the RPMs are the same as if it was haulin' down the road.

When installing the throttle cable to the grip and after hooking it up to the carb, I could see that once I would twist the grip, the fuel valve would open in the carb as it should and when I would release the grip, it would close as it should. Is it just stuck open now or do I have an air leak? What is going on?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks! 8)

Re: 80cc idling too high, carb adjustments not lowering RPM

Mine did the same thing a couple weeks back, I pulled the adjustment screw all the way out and then put it back in seems to be working fine now. I think there may have been something that sliped past the fuel filter and was causing the needle to stick :?

Thanks for the input. :)

The problem I had was in the throttle grip. It would stick and therefore the fuel valve in the carb was 1/3 open when it was supposed to be closed; the adjustment screw had no effect because it was so open. I had to take apart the throttle grip and file down a plastic piece that was preventing the slide mechanism so it wouldn't get stuck anymore and now it's fixed!!!! I can now adjust the carb with that screw like the RPMs are dying or as if the RPMs are at a rock concert!!! Awesome.

Back