'79 Stingray Finished Pics in Gallery threads

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stop myself. Picked up this April '79 Stingray frame on friday and well, now I've got to many things going on. But hey what the heck, ya only live once.
Didn't take any before shots but the paint was very chipped and ugly. Started life as the standard Schwinn blue.
DSC02935.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

And a new headbadge
DSC02936.jpg

Krylon Osha Safety Green w/Duplicolor Color Effects over top. Looking for rims to paint red and then a 3 inch rear and 2.125 white wall tire. Building the 'ray I wanted as a kid. YAY!!!
Sean

Re: '79 Stingray

Sean, I've got a question for you. Since the Duplicolor effects are a lacquer and you sprayed it over the Krylon isn't there a chance the stronger lacquer based paint will screw up the Krylon enamel base coat? Other than that I think it looks great.
Later T

Not really sure. I took the chance because the color effects stuff looks really cool. So far it looks ok. I've had Krylon bubble up real bad after trying Testors pearl gloss over the base coat. It did it right away. The Dulpi went on smooth and dried smooth with no bubbles so maybe i've just gotten lucky. I'm paint stupid so I have know clue what I'm doing.
Sean

Golden rule: You can spray any type of paint over a lacquer base coat, but lacquer can only be sprayed over lacquer. Lacquer solvents are so strong that they eat and blister almost all other dried paint types that come in contact with wet lacquer. That's why in professional systems lacquer thinner is the strongest solvent for cleaning paint equipment. It will dissolve dried enamel with ease!

Always remember lacquer only over lacquer!

Hope this helps, later Travis

yep lacquer based will lift paint super easy and it really stinks when you walk away and come back to all kindsa wrinkles :x. such a cool bike sean. i just squeezed my eyes shout and visioned the red wheels...totally agree, that would look really rad! can wait for the finished pics!

Thanks for the paint tips. I've been trying to stay with the Krylon cans so I don't get screwed up but that color effects paint is really cool. This build is an unexpected project. My car got totaled on Thursday so this might get a small set back time wise. I saw a Ranchero (?) in Old Skool Rodz a couple years ago that had this paint combo on it. Looked very cool with the red rims and white walls. I think it was a true Sea Foam Green though. Thats where the color inspiration came from.

Re: '79 Stingray Update pics

DSC02945.jpg

DSC02946.jpg

Waiting on a few more parts to finish up. WOO HOO!
Sean

Gdcast said:
Man you´re tall!!!
I'm only 6 foot but my knees are feeling the effects of 20+ years in the Infantry so I have to get good leg extention. Gotta have tall seats. Waiting on a 36 inch sissy bar and then I'm going crusin. Looking for a shrunken head to hang off the sissy bar. If any body knows where to find one or how to shrink a head let me know. I have candidates! I gave up on the 3 inch rear tire. Trying to buy local as much as possible. 2.125 rear and a 1.75 front. I'm likin it.
Sean

Mmmm...If I remember it properly...

1 Decapitate enemy. It helps to cut as close as possible to the base of the neck.
2 Carrying the new trophy, flee to a river.
3 Make a long, vertical incision from the base of the neck to the crown of the head.
4 Carefully and slowly peel off the skin of the head, using a sharp knife to separate the skin of face from the facial bones. Cast the skull and brains into a river as a sacrifice to the Anaconda Spirit.
5 Turn skin inside-out and carefully scrape off all fatty tissue.
6 Tie a rope through the top of the head-skin. Immerse the skin into a pot of boiling water for up to two hours. Take care not to over-boil, as this will cause the victim's hair to fall out. Allow to cool.
7 Thread a flexible vine around the base of the neck to give it shape. Sew shut the incision and eyelids. Fix lips together with three bamboo pegs.
8 Heat several pebbles in a fire. Insert the hot stones into the neck-hole. Whirl head around by its hair to keep the stones from burning the flesh. This will cause the flesh to shrink.
9 Repeat above step with progressively smaller stones, using heated sand when stones will no longer fit through the neck-hole. Take care to re-mold the face into its original shape each time, so the enemy's features do not become distorted. This process will take approximately 20 hours, and is usually performed in one's home village.
10 Singe off the fine facial hairs.
11 Blacken the victim's face with charcoal, so the deceased's spirit cannot haunt and torment the living.
12 Hang shrunken head in the smoke of a fire to dry and cure.
13 After cooling, rub your trophy to make it shine.

Let me know how it turns up!!! :lol:

I'm definitely diggin' that! Nice job, can't wait to see the finished product.
What size are those wheels? Hard to tell, maybe because of the tire width - look bigger than 20s, but not big enough on the frame to be 26ers?!?!?

Hammond Eggz said:
I'm definitely diggin' that! Nice job, can't wait to see the finished product.
What size are those wheels? Hard to tell, maybe because of the tire width - look bigger than 20s, but not big enough on the frame to be 26ers?!?!?
Thanks. They're 20's, 2.125 in the rear and 1.75 up front. Got the Schwinn decals put on the frame, waiting for the Stingray decal for the chain guard, sissy bar, seat post clamp and the grips. Makes me feel all George Barris and stuff!
Sean

Re: '79 Stingray Update pic 10-4

Scored a bicycle license plate at a flea market. 1965, no where close for the correct year for this bike but I still like it.
DSC02952.jpg

Gdcast said:
Mmmm...If I remember it properly...

1 Decapitate enemy. It helps to cut as close as possible to the base of the neck.
2 Carrying the new trophy, flee to a river.
3 Make a long, vertical incision from the base of the neck to the crown of the head.
4 Carefully and slowly peel off the skin of the head, using a sharp knife to separate the skin of face from the facial bones. Cast the skull and brains into a river as a sacrifice to the Anaconda Spirit.
5 Turn skin inside-out and carefully scrape off all fatty tissue.
6 Tie a rope through the top of the head-skin. Immerse the skin into a pot of boiling water for up to two hours. Take care not to over-boil, as this will cause the victim's hair to fall out. Allow to cool.
7 Thread a flexible vine around the base of the neck to give it shape. Sew shut the incision and eyelids. Fix lips together with three bamboo pegs.
8 Heat several pebbles in a fire. Insert the hot stones into the neck-hole. Whirl head around by its hair to keep the stones from burning the flesh. This will cause the flesh to shrink.
9 Repeat above step with progressively smaller stones, using heated sand when stones will no longer fit through the neck-hole. Take care to re-mold the face into its original shape each time, so the enemy's features do not become distorted. This process will take approximately 20 hours, and is usually performed in one's home village.
10 Singe off the fine facial hairs.
11 Blacken the victim's face with charcoal, so the deceased's spirit cannot haunt and torment the living.
12 Hang shrunken head in the smoke of a fire to dry and cure.
13 After cooling, rub your trophy to make it shine.

Let me know how it turns up!!! :lol:

:shock: YIKES! Someone knows a little too much about shrunken heads :shock:

Re: '79 Stingray Update pic 10-4

ratina said:
what kind of tires are those? and where did you get them?
The rear is a Kenda and the front is a Duro. LBS purchase. I'm trying to buy everything from my local shop rather than order.
Shrunken head coming soon! HEHE!
Sean

Back