79 SCHWINN SPITFIRE 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I picked up my Cruiser 5's evil twin brother this morning off of the CL for a cool $130...so much for losing weight, ha ha.

I had just sold my 65 Coppertone Traveler on Thursday so I had the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Plenty of rust, a new Shimano derailleur/chain and the ever popular ATOM drum brake.

Not sure if I have it in me to detail another one of these out at the moment. Just need to drop the whole bike in a swimming pool full of O.A. :lol:

It rides, shifts and stops great as is. Might be a good office bike to take out on lunch time cruises.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

I am both jealous and happy for you at the same time. Looks like it will clean up great, except maybe the crank leg.

Thanks guys.

It was funny because he had it listed as a "SCHWINN CLASSIC 5 STAR CRUISER."

I wondered if it was a model I never hear of before.

Rat Rod said:
Thanks guys.

It was funny because he had it listed as a "SCHWINN CLASSIC 5 STAR CRUISER."

I wondered if it was a model I never hear of before.

he must of had a Columbia as a kid :mrgreen:

The 65 Coppertone was for sale?

Nice set of blue cruisers, especially with the drum rear brake. It looks like the chains need a few more links, but that's just cosmetics.

seems like there's been a lot of schwinn cruisers from this time frame popping up on this forum lately. this is just a reminder that we really did consider them to be viable off road machines back then......my '82 was a single speed (blue of course) with a bmx style fork, tan gumwall schwinn knobbies, and the tan prewar-loooking saddle that appeared in one of the other posts. it was $188 new (a stumpjumper was $800) at the 'outdoorsman' in durango......at that time they also had a tricked out one priced over $300- alloy rims, blue 3 piece crank, etc....fun times. :D

perins1.jpg

perins4.jpg

perins5.jpg

Back