'79-ish Raleigh Tourist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
tourist.jpg
Here's my '79 Raleigh Tourist.
My Dad bought it new in '79.
The 3-speed, Sturmey-Archer hub is stamped as a '76.
My Dad rolled it around the 'hood casually for a few years, then it sat in his garage forever...until like eight years ago when I bought my current house and had space to give it a home.
He bought fresh 28" tyres (British) and they sat in the house for a buncha years like new-old-stock.
Rear tyre repairs are very involved.
It could use some detailing, but it cleaned up easily.
The Brookes saddle has not even been broken in really.
My Dad liked the rod brakes and long fork.
A local dude may have some fresh brake shoes.
It is complete, functional and intact....the air pump still works.
When I was like 13, I had a spray-can of clear enamel go defective on me and sprayed a light mist on it.
I freaked!
Most of it is gone now, but I don't want to buff on it too hard and lose the neato pinstriping.

It's slow, heavy, sucks on hills...doesn't turn quickly, doesn't stop very well, but I love it.
Very well made and very stylish.
A great ride on straight, level ground.

Here's some action video!!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnsVCB4Zg4

100_4725.jpg

100_4719.jpg

100_4710.jpg

100_4709.jpg

100_4723.jpg

I recently had a deal pending to sell it.
The terms of the deal got sketchy and I backed out...and he didn't act quick enough.
I warned him! :eek:
I decided the price was too low too also, but mostly it's sentimental.
It will always remind me of my Dad, but if the right high offer were to come around, he's ok with me selling it.
He's still going strong at 77.
The bike is probably not going anywhere.

I don't think I would sell it. Cool bike that is in perfect shape. The Brooks is worth 80-100 dollars.

ya have to keep this one. thats awsome. they ride great.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Thanks fellers!
You guys have inspired me to spend some time detailing it a bit......while I pursue my latest pusuit 8) .
All that rod-brake stuff will polish up nicely.

click click click click click

Great bike in great shape. Even if you beat it up, that thing will ride forever. It might not stop...

PS I don't recomend beating it up, that's the nicest rod brake bike I've seen.

That's a beauty! The fork rake and head tube angle are really relaxed, no wonder it doesn't turn easily. I bet you could ride hands-free forever 8)

i just passed one up for $100.00. reason: lol, no money, that thing is just like yours, wow, i would have got it but oh well an life goes on.lol

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I see those Raleigh Tourists going for over $500 on ebay.

About the rod brakes, yeah, they can be finicky because the wheel has to be perfectly round for them not to pulse... and there's a heck of a lot of metal to stop. I must say that when I've faced a few panic situations and have suddenly gripped mine as hard as possible, they completely locked both wheels and I stopped as quickly as possible. I actually prefer them over the newer brakes, where I'd go flying over the handlebars (because I am not used to them). The rod brakes give brute stopping power when needed.

While it would be good to get replacement pads (and they are not hard to find), don't be in a rush to replace the old ones. I have heard that it can take a long time to brake in (pun intended) the new pads to the shape of the rim. I have an extra set, but have not put them on yet. I think I'll wait until I see sparks flying when I apply the brakes. :oops:

If you plan on keeping your Dad's bike (that would be my vote for ya!) :lol: Keep after that chrome linkage and handlebars and such. Believe me, you do NOT want to try and find replacements. I clobber mine with WD-40 when I put it away in the fall. You can always wipe it off. The worst thing is that the dust will have collected on it by the springtime.

Wow...VERY cool bike man...does it ride as good as it looks?

I've always wondered how those front brakes feel.

Even though I'm pretty new to bikes I think I have a special passion for these english road bikes. Love it! Definitely keep it because it sounds like it has some sentimental value. Though I would love to take it off your hands :D (if it wasn't so special). This has definitely given me a few good ideas for my current bike build...

Latest posts

Back