'78 FUJI Single Speed + Video (6/21/10)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My project is now complete!

It all started two years ago when I found this on Craigslist:
78fuji2008.png

Being a 15 year old kid then not knowing how to fix derailleurs, I had no clue what to do with it; it was a piece of crap.

Then the fixie inspiration came in. Until recently, I decided to save my knees and go freewheel, so here it is... awaiting a coat of wax. :mrgreen:

dsc09072.jpg

dsc09073.jpg

dsc09077.jpg

dsc09076g.jpg

dsc09078.jpg

dsc09079.jpg

dsc09080.jpg

dsc09083w.jpg

The chain may look a bit saggy; I'll pull out some more links after I break it in.

This was a cheap build. I used many of the original parts (stem, wheels, crank, kickstand, pedals) but also added some new components (San Marco saddle, grips, freewheel, chain, tires). The bike was completely rebuilt. Very clean. There isn't a lot of aluminum but this bike is fairly lightweight and FAST!

All in all including the original cost of the bike, I have about $80 in this project. I'm rather pleased with the results. Thanks for taking a look! :wink:

Re: '78 FUJI Single Speed

Whoa...that thing is killer...great color and parts combo!

that looks great! sounds like what i'd like to do with my $10 spalding. you said you kept the stock cranks? did you just remove a sprocket from it?

how difficult was it to take off the freewheel on the old one? i don't think i want a fixie but i wouldnt mind a freewheel/single speed.

prolly keep the curved handlbars on mine, though, since i just picked up new bar wrap. hehe

Thanks guys.

kinggargantuan said:
that looks great! sounds like what i'd like to do with my $10 spalding. you said you kept the stock cranks? did you just remove a sprocket from it?

how difficult was it to take off the freewheel on the old one? i don't think i want a fixie but i wouldnt mind a freewheel/single speed.

prolly keep the curved handlbars on mine, though, since i just picked up new bar wrap. hehe

Cool! Yes, that's the original crank; I just took out the chain ring and smaller sprocket.

You can see it dangling in this picture from 6-26-09 while also having a Spalding seat. :lol:

dsc04597.jpg

Taking the original freewheel was actually really easy; it surprised me. I got a Park FR-2 freewheel remover tool and just put it in the vise with the wheel on it, turned it counterclockwise and with not much effort, it started loosening. Good luck on your project. :D

nice!! glad to see its finally done! my original blue fixie cost me.. $95! :lol:

I really dislike fixed gears also, BUT..... this one is very nice!

Thanks! It's not really a fixie; I have a freewheel and can coast. I hope you like it more! :lol: Haha.

after you took the original freewheel off and install a single speed, did everything just line up or did you have to use a spacer of some kind?

i think he probably flipped the axle and re-dished the hub, thats what i suggested he did. 8)

cactus said:
after you took the original freewheel off and install a single speed, did everything just line up or did you have to use a spacer of some kind?

You got it. :D I was a bit worried on how well it would come together but it ended up screwing on perfectly -- no spacers needed.

stretch said:
i think he probably flipped the axle and re-dished the hub, thats what i suggested he did. 8)

Me and axles do not get along. I'm scared to take them out, haha. :lol:
Yo Stretch we should meet up someday and have a race in a Wal-Mart parking lot. My '78 Fuji SS vs. your blue Schwinn fixie. :wink:

wish i still had that thing, actually, sold it last summer, for idk what reason. :roll: :cry:
got this one though!
SANY0096.jpg

as she should. :mrgreen: careful though, he's got a switchblade in his leather jacket an some razors in his shoes. :wink: :p

oh yeah, that it a good lookin' bike.
i dig the heck out of it.
i had mentioned to a pal of mine that i wanted to build another fixie last summer and he gave me a small fuji bike a couple weeks ago. he knows that i'm a short guy and needs a smaller frame.
it crossed my mind before, but now that i've seen yers i must make a fun single speed bike.
that's good stuff.

Back