'77 Stingray Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overview of my last project.
Started out with a craigslist find, a 1977 Schwinn Stingray with bmx bars and tires and a mountain bike seat. Had a lowrider in mind...
IMG-20110918-00049.jpg

Got my first load of parts...
IMG-20110923-00059.jpg

Decided on a 26" bent springer, really wanted to get that front tire out there...
IMG-20111009-00080.jpg

NOW, we're getting somewhere! Time to tear it down and paint it...
IMG-20111109-00099.jpg

IMG-20111109-00096.jpg

IMG-20111109-00097.jpg

Had to leave the dealer sticker and license sitckers (nostalgia, you get it). Had a chain guard off another 20" bike, not quite long enough, so I extended it with a piece of galvanized angle iron. Added some threaded spikes from studsandspikes.com for some nice detail, went with one taillight instead of 2, and found an old Enwell headlight on ebay. Converted the lights to LEDs, single bulb rear, 9-LED high beam, single bulb low beam...REALLY lights up the night! runs on 6 AAA batteries.
77Stingrayrr.png

77Stingrayfrt.png

Very happy with the finished product! I could've spent a lot more time polishing up the old chrome, but that's not the feel I wanted. I like the look of the new chrome with the old patina and the flat black. I learned a lot while doing this, and I'm very excited about another custom!

Great job,looks good! 8) :mrgreen:

found a schwinn tornado locally the guy asked $100 for it, ill get it when i can come up with the $$$
its all OG..

im not really a fan of 'lowrider bikes because they look real ghetto like..
there is a thin line between looking good and crap but you ended up coming out with something that looks nice.
i really like that chain guard.. nice build :D

iven said:
found a schwinn tornado locally the guy asked $100 for it, ill get it when i can come up with the $$$
its all OG..

there is a thin line between looking good and crap but you ended up coming out with something that looks nice.
Thanks. I saw one at a swap meet once with a chrome frame and really like that look, but I agree, there is that thin line...some people WAY overboard with them. The only thing I might do differently next time is the sissy bar, although it is a nice back rest. lol
LOVE tornados...tornadoes? spell check says tornadoes... great bikes!

IronDio said:
iven said:
its all OG..

Thanks. I saw one at a swap meet once with a chrome frame and really like that look, but I agree, there is that thin line...some people WAY overboard with them. The only thing I might do differently next time is the sissy bar, although it is a nice back rest. lol
LOVE tornados...tornadoes? spell check says tornadoes... great bikes!
yeah i like the springers and the tall sissy bars..
i hope the guy still has that bike, i wanted to do something like what you did to yours :mrgreen:

Nice ride I'll be looking for a set of those scrambler bars in the near future' :wink:

Changed out the rear tire for a larger one that filled up the fender a lot better...
IMG-20120811-00555.jpg

IMG-20120811-00556.jpg

Old chain guard rubbed on the new tire, so I modified a 24" breeze guard I had to fit the 20" frame
IMG-20120811-00559.jpg

Exercise bike speedo...classic! Plus, now I know how hard I'm working! lol
IMG-20120811-00558.jpg

Going to change some decals soon...then, I'll get some better pics and post them!

Back