77 Schwinn Varsity camelback Fastback style

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This came in 3 boxes from Tin Machine today. Got a blue Manta seat coming from White Trash, but put this red one on until that comes. Also threw on a 7 post. Got it all ready to go and pumped up the tires. Went to put the pump away and the front tube blew up :( Gotta get a tube before I can try it out :x

100_8443.jpg

100_8444.jpg

100_8442.jpg

Glad to see one of the members is going to enjoy Tin machines handy work.Those blue tires really made it pop. They're great riding bikes,you should make a blast on that thing.
Good Luck,
Spokes

harquahalas,

Schwinn didn't do a very good job on grinding down the welds on their 27" rims. I have also blown tubes before I realized what the problem was. A lot of times where the rim is welded together there are sharp edges. The welds are close to the valve stem hole. I check the weld before installing a new tube and if there is a sharp edge I file it down and always use a new rim strip if possible. I guess the original Schwinn tubes were a lot thicker then the tubes we buy today. :(

Dan

I just bought the same frame this afternoon, and was over at the bike coop looking at some ape hangers and a quill stem. Then I get home and google "schwinn camelback frame" and this image comes up! So, I may take some inspiration from this lovely machine you have here and make a 1-speed version. I have been looking for an excuse to mount up a banana seat on a bike.

Cheers,
Tim

Latest posts

Back