'77 Schwinn Hollywood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post, I've been lurking here for a bit soaking up a ton of information. This is my first total bike rebuild, and already this site has been an awesome resource with a TON of information and lots of helpful members. Seems like a good forum here.

My wife snagged this '77 Schwinn Hollywood from her grandmother's garage, who knows how many years it had been sitting there untouched (she's a bit of a hoarder). Good condition for a 30+ year old bike, however it had a lot of surface rust as expected. Paint is good but has a good many chips and dings. I've spent my free time over the last week tearing the bike down and doing my best to remove all the rust, everything is coming clean with very little damage to the chrome underneath. I want to use as many original parts as possible (not for authenticity, I'm cheap is what it comes down to :lol: ) and get it back to a like-new rolling condition.

schwinn006.jpg

This picture better shows the rust condition over most of the bike:
schwinn004.jpg

Plans are to strip the frame to metal and repaint it black with pink accents. Whitewalls, new seat (black/white), grips, pedals, and a basket out front. I'm thinking flat black frame, fork, and fenders with pink pinstripe accents, pink inside the fenders, and pink wheels with polished spokes. No frame decals but I will be getting new decals for the chainguard.

Here is how it currently sits, I'm working on cleaning the wheels up right now. Next step is to refurb the hubs and strip the paint, then the reassembly can begin.

schwinn030.jpg

schwinn032.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a bike for myself, once I'm "done" with this one then I can start my own project. I've gotten a ton of ideas from this site and can't wait to build a bike of my own.

scrumblero said:
that seat looks super clean! it might pay for the whole thing !$!$
You're right! It was dirty, but some warm water and dish detergent did a lot for it. There are a couple places where the white has worn off but overall it's in good shape. I bet it'd at least bring a few dollars that could fund new tires... :D

mikesbikes36 said:
that paint looks pretty darn good too me ....u sure u wanna strip it ....maybee just find one in really bad shape and redo it ...just sayin ....

The paint surface itself is in great condition, but it's been beat up while it was stored. There's lots of gouges and metal-deep scratches in the paint, so rather than repairing them individually I'm just going to do a full color change. Not to mention the wife wants it to be black, so black it is... :roll: Gotta keep her happy and justify me spending the hours in the shop! :lol:

i wish i looked that good when i was 30! :lol: it looks pretty nice to me already.

Time to bring this thread back from the dead. My wife kept bugging me to finish her bike before I did any more work on my build off bike, so I got it rolling and now it's about 90% done. Spent a lot of time polishing, rebuilt the coaster hub, painted the frame satin black, and broke down the wheels to polish the spokes and paint the rims light pink. Still planning to add replacement Schwinn decals, and the seat and grips will likely be swapped out for a white banana seat and white grips.

Here's how it sits now, almost done and fully rideable, now with the ol' lady's approval.

IMG_8908.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
Looks good. My wife did one similar.

What size tires are the new ones? They look bigger than middleweight.
I found some that are 26 x 1-3/4 x 2, I guess they are the same width but are a bit taller than middleweight. I actually bought a set of Kenda 26x2.125 whitewalls not realizing the S7 rims had a funky size to them.

Your wife's bike is actually the one that made her decide on the color scheme, imitation is the best form of flattery right? :wink: Nice job on that one.

Back