74 Schwinn Speedster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this one one CL, it was the first time I'd ever seen the camel back frame without the cantilevers. I fell for it right away. The bike was in really good shape and still had the original tires and S7's on it, but the paint had some nicks and scratches. Oh well, time to got to work.
bikesjan08003hr7.jpg

My original inspiration was an early porsche speedster with the low frame and chopped windshield. I was going to go with a flashy paint job and flipped mustache bars for a lowered profile, but when I put it together for a mock up I saw something else entirely, a more of a pug-nosed street fighter type style, so that's what I went with.
toecracker012ya9.jpg

I kept the bobbed fenders idea from the original plan and put on a couple of vintage reflectors. In keeping with the street fighter theme I went with checkerboard Kenda's to give the appearance of a knobby tire but with a smoother ride.
toecracker007fg8.jpg

I shined up the springs under the original seat, but it was missing something. I used a paint pen to bring out the fake stitches.
bikesjan08026cr4.jpg

The bike got it's name because I live in an apartment and had to re-arrange the furniture to make room for the bike. The first night home I was walking across the living room and smacked my toe against a heavy wooden table that was moved for the bike, breaking it (my toe that is, not the bike, and for .... sure not the table). I used metal letters from a crafts store and added the chrome stripe on top of the chain guard. This bike is made as a college bike for my nephew so it has a single speed coaster hub. That way there's no brake lines or gear lines for drunken football players to pull off on the weekends. And my nephew is pretty popular with the ladies, so I put pegs on the back so he can give a girl a ride home after class, who ever she'll be, she can stand on the pegs while he peddles. And if he drives the bike like he drives a car she'll be holding on for her life.
toecracker003li4.jpg

I picked up a head badge from ebay which had wings on the side and repainted it.
mrpringles009gx0.jpg

Can anyone tell me what model/year it's from? Anyway, it fit the style of the bike.
toecracker013yi7.jpg

I've got one year to enjoy it before he goes to college. I told him it's yours for free, but I can ride it until you go to school.

Back