70's???? Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up off craigslist yesterday for 25 bones.

Due to the sticker badge I was thinking it was probably a 70's or 80's piece.

I don't really know much about these bikes other than most of 'em were made by Murray. This one has a serial number on the side of the head tube - A 2C26 A67 4 (or it could be A 2026 A67 4)

galaxyflyer.jpg

galaxyflyer2.jpg

yep. says AMF on the sticker badge in small letters under "WESTERN FLYER".

So yeah, you are correct.

Looks like a beefier frame than the typical Murrays I've seen.

yeah, looks like my buddy's nephew wants it and has agreed to get dirty & fix it up himself.

I think he's totally up for making something cool out of it.

Any way of knowing the year from the serial #?

Here's the headbadge sticker & the little "spears" on the front forks.

And no, it doesn't appear that there was ever a sticker on the seat tube of any kind.

So, probably 69 or 70 then?

headbadgesticker.jpg

spears.jpg

thats a sweet bike! the BMA6 sticker mighta got picked off.. that was the first thing to go on our bikes in the 70's. :roll:

if so, they cleaned up the area reeeeaaaally well.

There's no trace of one. But hey, anything is possible.

So I take it there's no serial # database then?

My understanding is that AMF manufactured bikes have very little information to trace back to by serial number. I'm not sure if the records don't exist or what, but the serial is of very little use. I went through that exercise a few months ago with my AMF 3-speed "lightweight"...

You can narrow it down a little. The wheels match, so I would guess they are the original wheels. The rear hub is probably Bendix. Does the shell have a red stripe around it, or is it without a stripe? Does the brake arm say Bendix 70 or 76? Or is it a shimano? That bike was probably made in Olney, Illinois, going by the straight downtube on the frame. The chainguard isn't one I'm familiar with, so it probably is a later Roadmaster (WF branded). The seat and handlebars most probably aren't original, I'll bet it was a standard seat and bars.

wow man thats nice im looking for a muscle bike for my son too.. i would of seen i would of been all over it too.. nice find fo-sho... 8)

it is a bendix hub...

Has a colorless stripe (not red) and it says "bendix 76", so from what I understand this was the first Mexican Bendix, and the "76" was indicitive of the year, so I guess that means it's a late 70's bike then?

And it looks like there was once some kind of sticker on the down tube, but not the seat tube.

Here is one of mine, I believe it is a 1960 something. Frame looks similar if not identical. Mine had no headbadge either when I got it. Chain has since been tightened up.
greybike003.jpg

Back