'68 Five Speed Sting-Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest find... a '68 Coppertone Five Speed, pretty darn close to stock and original. As far as I (and a few friends) can tell, the only things incorrect about the bike are the new sissy bar and the single, springy cable clamp needs to be replaced with a correct double clamp. I'm going to get it detailed, overhauled, back to stock and do a proper photo shoot... then I'll probably put new (mostly because it will ride better) whitewalls and fenders on it for awhile and get some super fun and stylin' miles in.. I'm a sucker for the coppertone/whitewall look! I love it stock, too, so after some rides, I'll probably return it to stock and add it to the living room decor.

4997425147_8c6883f1fb_o.jpg

What can you detail on it :shock: :shock: That thing is MINT :eek: Awesome score, I'd be happy for a year if I found a Sting-Ray like that :D

Yeah, it's pretty dang clean... I'm super happy! :D I watched this thing sit on CL for a couple of weeks, then couldn't stand it anymore... I made a pile of stuff to sell off, so as not to feel too guilty about it, and bought it!

As far as detailing it goes, it'll be mostly about re-greasing all the bearings, scrubbin' the dirt out of the pedals, grips and tires and cleaning surface rust off of some chrome. The bottom bracket cups are totally rusted, which is kinda strange.. it has some minor issues, but is as clean a bike as I own.. it's definitely the crown jewel of my collection. I was warned about the addicting nature of Schwinns, but I had no idea it'd be this bad! :lol:

CCR said:
Have you eaten off it yet ???

Super nice find :)
:lol: I'm going to, just to be able to say I have!

is this the bike your lookin for the fenders for ? , have a stingray book and it has a bike in it exactly like yours !, had to take a second look :shock:

I need that book! A couple of my friends have it, and yep, that bike on the train tracks is exactly bike. I want to put some modern (nice riding) tires on it for the summer, then partially cover up those not-as-cool-looking tires with some nice fenders. I'll bring it back to stock eventually... Probably right when I find a nice copy of the Liz Fried book :lol: ... Anyone have that book for sale?

Back