66 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

1st post here people whats up?? I have a 66 Schwinn typhoon that is in really good shape. Very limited rust on the bottom of the frame and thats it (original tires, everything). Anyway.. I bought this bike with full intentions of rat-roding it out. Ape hangers, Springer, Flat Black with red accents and wheels, and bullet headlight. I still want to make my bike a rat rod, but everyone keeps telling me not to ruin it because it stayed in such good shape for so long. I cant afford to buy a 2nd (crappier) bike to do this to either. In your opinion is it stupid to sand off a good paint job and change it from its original condition in order to achieve this?? Thanx a lot

Hard to judge without pictures. Why not just add apehangers and Springer to the existing frame?

there is no shortage of original schwinn middleweights.

imho it's your money and your fun. do with it as you will.

which version would you rather RIDE? :wink:

You have unwittingly opened the can of worms that squirms its way through every corner of our hobby. :?
Half the crowd will agree with bendix, and say, "It's your bike- please yourself." Others will react with abject horror that you would even think of :shock: DEFIlING ORIGINAL SCHWINN PAINT. :shock: I've gone through the same argument in my own head with my 1980 Heavy-Duti. With my bike I opted for changing out the handlebars for a set of semi-apes that I had in the garage. I take the fenders on and off depending on how I feel. It's still ratty enough that way to please me, and if I get feeling all sentimental I can bolt the bike back up to all stock.

JWM

add whitewalls and chrome springer and apes roll it semi original and buy a whole or pieces for another down the road...when you have a few you will be bummed you did not keep the nice one in good shape! there like potato chips you cant have just one!

Black Crown... I think I bought this off of you??

Yep! Still can't come to tear it down huh?? It's a nice one I know some people would say its just a 60s schwinn but anything in that shape is good to keep... Not to many super nice survivors!!! Keep the o.g. Parts bolt some cool onto it and roll!

Lots and lots of bikes can make good rats. The originals, in good shape? They aren't making any more of those. But it's just a bike. And besides, in 30 years someone will lovingly hand restore it back to it's 1966 goodness :lol:

Now, this is just me being a jerk, I fully admit it, but isn't flat black with red wheels a bit done yet?

You probably have S-7 wheels, not much selection in tires for those.

You could shine it up, sell it for $150 and buy a beat up old bike to rat out with money left over.

I'm gonna probly take Black crown's advice and bolt on a springer, medium apes, bullet headlight, and whitewalls. Pay the ol' owner a lil respect ya know. This way i can always take it back to original. BLACK CROWN lemme know if ur ever in PGH ( i live in lawrenceville) and looking to ride, drink, see rock n' roll, or whatever. Thanks again for a great bike

no prob man! i will hit you up there is a few guys from pittsburgh on here that get togeather and ride and what not! i will keep you posted! i have a schwinn chrome springer if you need one! and remember you have to get white walls for an s-7 the regular 26 x 175 wont fit i think bicycle heaven will have em and he has the apps you want also...i have a springer a few bucks cheeper than he will but there is an october ride comming up soon ill keep you posted!

Yeh im definitely interested in the springer. I was about to purchase one. As long as it will fit my bike and isnt all rusted up, Id love to purchase it

its all chrome real nice it will fit...you can even come up to the shop and we can put it on so you know it fits before you buy it of you want!

SnS77 said:
I'm gonna probly take Black crown's advice and bolt on a springer, medium apes, bullet headlight, and whitewalls. Pay the ol' owner a lil respect ya know. This way i can always take it back to original. BLACK CROWN lemme know if ur ever in PGH ( i live in lawrenceville) and looking to ride, drink, see rock n' roll, or whatever. Thanks again for a great bike
I'm right across the river , in Millvale , and like doing all those things :lol:

I'd like to see pics of it...I have a his and hers 66 Typhoon. Still haven't started on the hers, but here is the boys version.

66typhoon10.jpg

Back