'65 Cosmic Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked a deal where I acquired this '65 (?) Western Flyer, Cosmic Flyer for nuttin' out of pocket.

100_8677.jpg

I'm guessing it's a '65 as per an ad I saw, but the link no longer works.
Very complete, but the rust got pretty deep into the chrome.
Don't think steel wool and metal polish will do.
Wheels are pretty gone too.

I know this frame was made for a number of years and I've seen some really sweet ones on this site.
Such a graceful frame.
Anybody have any history/advice/or links about these bikes?
Anybody have a headlight? (wasp nest up in the tank)

I'm thinking resto-custom.

yup. definately a spaceliner. unique frame design is kind of a dead giveaway. nice rusto rat patina though!!!

Easy E

It says "Cosmic Flyer".
I'll get a pic of the tank up soon.
I understand that there was a "Flight Liner" variant as well....same frame.

ok, so after a little research here and on google, it is a cosmic flyer, made by western flyer. sears made the spaceliner, which looks EXACTLY like that bike you have.

Easy E

Definitely Murray-built (like the Sears SpaceLiner and the JC Higgins FlightLiner). the geometry and tank shape are slightly different than the Sears model, more space between the top two lines, but same quad tube construction from headtube to dropout. Would have probably been made in ohio.

looks great though, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks guys!
I can't wait to see what I do with it either. :mrgreen:
I love the "fin" detail on the luggage rack.

Anybody got a headlight laying around? :D

Disclaimer: I am not an expert.
BUT...
I own a few spaceliner bikes. My first one was a chrome one. But a lot of the chrome was badly pitted. I sold it. I then bought a rusty spaceliner shaped frame that didn't look like it had ever been chrome. I turned it into the Cheapliner for RRBBBO3. Then i bought another Chrome frame from Rat Rod. This one was slightly different than either the cheapliner or my other chrome spaceliner. The lower top tubes mount a little closer to the top set at the headstock, and at the back they end welded to the upper top set, where as my other two frames the lower pair went all the way into the dropouts, and because of this they have a slightly different profile, which I kinda prefer... Gives it a longer look. I also have a western flyer cosmic flyer frame that I am in the process of stretching and engineering to run 24x3.0 tires on(more on this later...) and the western flyer frame is the latter style, where the lower pair of bars goes all the way into the dropouts. On this frame, it's painted black. It has never been chromed. However, the fork is black with chrome tips, kinda like a reverse of the standard spaceliner fork. And is Chrome underneath the black paint.
Since i got my first 'Liner, I have looked at others. I have seen a J.C. Higgins Flightliner that had a spaceliner frame, but was painted and originally came this way. This flightliner frame is different than the chrome ones I've seen, that was kinda predecessor to the spaceliner. I have also seen Sears Spaceliners that were painted, and not chrome. I don't know if Western Flyer ever sold a chrome Cosmic Flyer...
Anyways, to make a long story short, I call all my bikes spaceliners. It's just easier that way... You've got a cool start on a project, by the way... This is my favorite frame design. So cool...

WOW!
That's pretty much a sweety there locojoe!

Thanks for the research Brigmaster!

Great stuff!!!

So.....anybody got a spare headlight? :lol:

Speaking for myself and everyone else who owns a spaceliner (or similar model), an unbroken headlight lens for one of those tanks is rarer than hen's teeth. One of mine had a lens that was cracked in half. I've been considering trying to make a mold off that and doing some repop lenses if I can get the mold clean enough. I'll let you know how it works out!

BLASTER said:
WOW!
That's pretty much a sweety there locojoe!

Thanks for the research Brigmaster!

Great stuff!!!

So.....anybody got a spare headlight? :lol:
Ha Ha! Research! Ha Ha! I just told you my experience with the frame style. Research. Pthbt! :p Thanks for the credit though. I really know nothing other than this is hands down my favorite frame style. Ever. Period. :mrgreen:

BLASTER said:
:lol: I've pretty much exhausted my Googles over this thing....I think. :lol:

I'm familiar with your Cheapliner.
It's noyce! 8)
Thanks for the compliment! Glad you liked it! So far, it's the one i've got the most amount of time into, and is still one of my favorites to ride. Those apes sure change the attitude of riding it...

BLASTER said:
I worked a deal where I acquired this '65 (?) Western Flyer, Cosmic Flyer for nuttin' out of pocket.

100_8677.jpg
Got this sucker rolling last night finally.
I've been a little distracted having my job at the daily paper going away after 10.5 years....but it's for the best I'm sure.

100_1067.jpg

Went through the hubs and the BB (all bearings cleaned up nicely), fresh red chain and good tires.
Rides as new, yet still a tetinus fest.

Not sure where it will go from here, but I still need a headlight if anybody has any leads.

Latest posts

Back