'62 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to find myself a '62 Typhoon and finally did. Drove a little over an hour for this one. Condition was not as good as I was made to believe on the phone. Bought it because I wasn't going to totally waste 120 miles worth of gas and my time for nothing.

Bike looked pretty gawdy with the mirrors, incorrect chrome fenders and chain guard, seat handle made from a hacked sissy-bar, etc. Somewhere along it's life it got the awesome brush paint job and for some reason the the holes for the head badge were drilled out to about 3/16". Also had several holes drilled in the handle bars. I took some pics and then started removing parts.

This is going to be my first project bike. I was hoping for a restoration, but this is going to be a bit more on the custom side. Anyone know if the wheels are Schwinn? It's got a red-stripe Bendix rear hub and is currently sporting some Sears 26x1.75 tires.

And now the pics.

As it looked when I picked it up.
s0lguwxi.jpg

hgipvuvp.jpg

sqnolymf.jpg

b50msaif.jpg

h3zbwas5.jpg

d4do03qz.jpg

0ahiimnq.jpg

xw2z4m1j.jpg

epvw2dbw.jpg

zulhufsn.jpg

And after removing the extra junk...
m5v2x24n.jpg

ujl0ooml.jpg

looks like an h1 (august 61) serial # !!! means it was made in 61 but the frame style was intended for the 62 model year (mine is an M1) cant tell from the pic but does this bike have a bolt on kickstand or is it built into the frame ??? the wheels like murray (sears/jc higgins- may be stamped m o mfg on the sides) to me, the typhoons would have painted s-7s from schwinn originally, also the sprocket is off a later schwinn stingray bike, the mags didnt come out until 66 and werent stamped "MAG" until 67/68 i believe. fork doesnt look like a schwinn, maybe it came off the same bike the wheels came from. guard is an earlier schwinn (50s style), grips were originally black schwinn approved for red and black frames.

CCR said:
looks like an h1 (august 61) serial # !!! means it was made in 61 but the frame style was intended for the 62 model year (mine is an M1) cant tell from the pic but does this bike have a bolt on kickstand or is it built into the frame ??? the wheels like murray (sears/jc higgins- may be stamped m o mfg on the sides) to me, the typhoons would have painted s-7s from schwinn originally, also the sprocket is off a later schwinn stingray bike, the mags didnt come out until 66 and werent stamped "MAG" until 67/68 i believe. fork doesnt look like a schwinn, maybe it came off the same bike the wheels came from. guard is an earlier schwinn (50s style), grips were originally black schwinn approved for red and black frames.

Thanks for the info. Yep, it's an H1 serial number. Kickstand is a bolt-on. No stamping on the wheels. Looks like the forks had an extra hole drilled in for mounting the fender bracket. Maybe I'll look for a Schwinn fork.

does the bike have a tube for a built in type kickstand ?

i believe someone on here had a seemingly original schwinn "flying star" with the typhoon frame but it had a bolt on kickstand instead of the sprague style, it was the first id heard of, probably an experimental/mock-up type thing though due to the early month frame !!!

CCR said:
does the bike have a tube for a built in type kickstand ?

i believe someone on here had a seemingly original schwinn "flying star" with the typhoon frame but it had a bolt on kickstand instead of the sprague style, it was the first id heard of, probably an experimental/mock-up type thing though due to the early month frame !!!

No tube. Just a bolt-on kickstand there.

The guy I got it from buys up abandoned contents of storage units. This was in one of the units, so I don't have any history on it all.

GodHatesCleveland said:
I'm a little curious about the hacked seat handle. Did the previous owner say what it was for, and why they made the handle so large?
Looks like they turned the top of a sissy bar into a crash rail. Kinda cool. Nice bike!

johnny nightwolf said:
GodHatesCleveland said:
I'm a little curious about the hacked seat handle. Did the previous owner say what it was for, and why they made the handle so large?
Looks like they turned the top of a sissy bar into a crash rail. Kinda cool. Nice bike!

I thought about that but it's too skinny to be a real crash rail. If the bike dropped to it's side it would still risk damaging the seat. But if it was a grip to lift the bike with for some reason, the hacked sissy bar would make perfect sense.

Like I've always said, every cool bike has a cool story about it. I just wonder what this one was...................

maybe it was to tie on a tow line to drag someone on skates/skateboard etc..., used to tie a rope to the seat post but theyd get hung up on the seat sometimes.

Actually, that style frame came out in 1958 with the Tornado. It was a junior line model, so they used the bolt on kickstands as either a cost cutting measure, or to differentiate it from the more expensive bikes. They also had a few other models that used the frame, like the Flying Star. I have a 61 'Skipper' that has it. Then they used it for the 62 Typhoon, which replaced the Tornado. ~Adam

From the research I've done online and all the pictures I've seen, the '62 Typhoon is the only model that used the cantilever-styled "straight bar" frame. The Tornado, Flying Star, and Skipper had the two horizontal bars welded on separate. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The LBS had a straight bar Typhoon recently. It appeared to be nice and very original. I think he was asking $125. Not bad, but still out of my cheapskate price range.

Back