61' Schwinn Tornado (El Tigre)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on this 61 Schwinn Tornado that I got about 2 summers ago :roll: Its just now that I finally got the time and money to work on it. I tried to have it powder coated, but the paint keeps on bubbling. The powder coater said that the frame could have been contaminated or something so we ended up just painting it instead. The paint is sunburst orange. I tried to capture the sparkle, but its too late in the day :D Still collecting some parts for it right now, but ill update it with new pics as soon as I have new things to show.
When I first got it
im000324xh5.jpg

Now
84577910.jpg

Re: Sunray

I love the color too! the metallic really pops out in the sun. Im hoping ill get some of the parts soon, so I can get this bike rolling.

Re: Sunray

Lookin' forward to seeing pics of the build...I'm an orange freak! Love that color!

We got a roller! just waiting on a couple more parts. I have a question, I wanted to paint the rubber pedals white. What is the best way to go about doing this? will an acrylic paint hold up maybe one of those vinyl spray paint??
photo0017.jpg

photo0019bw.jpg

Is this also normal to have this much gap between the fork and the headset cups?
photo0021y.jpg

no i dont think so, bearing balls facing the cups. the bottom of steering tube is taperd bigger so the lower cone wont sit flush with the triple tree thats why it has the gap. maybe i have to push the lower cone to the steering tube more? im just dry fitting everything maybe when i tighten it everything will be flush. by the way i have a threaded fork

I've had the opposite problem, where I had to shim the inner race to keep it from flopping. They don't all have the same inner diameter. Also some need to be drifted on, they're an interference fit.

I took the fork to my LBS and they too doesn't have an answer with the gap. We tried 1 1/8" that one is too big and 1" is too small. They didn't want to pound in because it will probably split it. I guess ill just settle with the gap in there, maybe ill put a rubber band around it.

updates. Seat needs to be reupholster and I wish the stem would go in more, but it gets stuck half way in.
dsc00870m.jpg

dsc00869g.jpg

cactus said:
updates. Seat needs to be reupholster and I wish the stem would go in more, but it gets stuck half way in.

Mine was just doing the same thing, so I took my dremel tool and ground out a little into the fork steer tube and it went in further, but then, I was working with cheaper equipment than you. It still didn't fit low enough, so I just went to the bike shop (20 minutes ago) and bought a stem 1mm smaller that goes all the way down.

yah I need to find a similar stem in 21.1 size. I just got a flat and I haven't even taken the bike out yet :cry:

Back