59 Western Flyer Super Deluxe Tank Model (AKA 3-on-the-tree)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think the chain guard is growing on me; probably going to keep it this way.
Has that looks mostly professional but with a splash of "I made it myself".

What do you guys think?
Keep it?
Try again?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Hoping to get the tank ready for copper paint soon. Its taking longer to smooth out than I expected, lots of dints & dings as well as the waves from it being stamped.

Getting closer to having the tank smoothed out.

Also still trying to locate some cable clamps & stops that will bolt to this frame to get the 3 speed cable figured out.

I found a lot of bike shops don't have the older 3 speed parts. The most parts I've found were on old three speed bikes picked up at thrift stores.

Yea thrift stores here don't have bikes.
Keep checking the bike co-op here but all the 3 speeds that they will part out have brazed on holders & stops and no spare parts that I can find

Looks like I have my battle plan for the 3 speed cable mostly figured out.
I'm using some zipties for mockup

Just received a cable stop & cable holder that will hopefully fit my frame.
Its going to drive me crazy not knowing until I get home after work.

Off to work I go.

So it seems luck is on my side...
The cable stop & holder fit my frame nicely with a strip of rubber around the frame (pant protection).

I've got the initial mockup done; still need to work out the fine details but it looks like my plan will work.

Here is what you'll see from the side.
1b8e2b8e8ec8c3d1231e39f1522e20cc.jpg

4cd71a64b8f5960eaba17997d549aa3c.jpg

And looking down between the tank and seat tube
500baf70168dd0b1c17eeccb9a5cb99b.jpg

Thanks Luke.

I'm trying to keep the cable as hidden as I can so part of it is inside the tank.
Still trying to get it to where it goes in & out of the tank smooth when turning.
Also trying to devise a longer shift handle so when I get my seat and can set far enough back that I'll be able to reach it lol.

Hoping to get time later to put the hub on the frame and hook the cable up to see how everything fits.

It works.
Just hooked the hub up and it shifts gears.
A little slow on down shifts but I didn't lube the cable yet either as this was just a test.

Now I need to strip this baby into pieces later so I can get the frame & fork stripped bare.

Oh I'm so excited. :p:D:cool::):p:cool:

Think I jumped the gun a tiny bit lol need to plan out my shifter lever & seat before I rip it all the way down.
Lol just so glad its working out that I forgot about other things I should get done first so I don't kill the paint later.

Back