59 schwinn salvage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just scored this cool old 59 schwinn frame w/ springer fork yesterday & stripped some ugly green paint off of it :D Needs a little bar bending then she's ready to roll. Another one saved from the scrapyard :)
59schwinn001.jpg

59schwinn005.jpg

59schwinn002.jpg

59schwinn004.jpg

thanks, i still have some bits of green paint that needs stripped. Just spent some time today crawling through the attic digging up parts (couldn't find a good chain gaurd :roll:). Then bent the frame back into shape & got her riding :D .
59schwinn006.jpg

59schwinn007.jpg

59schwinn008.jpg

59schwinn010.jpg

Bike looks good. I looked at the 59 catalog, only the Wasp had that paint scheme, but didn't have a springer, but they may not have shown all the bikes right.

I've been kinda wondering what model this is. My other blue/white 59 spitfire has this same paint scheme, but it's a middle weight bike :?:

Sweet..looks great..what are you plans for it..Paint May be..?

That looks like a balloon tire frame. The Wasp was the last ballooner Schwinn made. I think it went until '64 and it was just skinny tire bikes after that. :cry: Gary

Well, i would like to find some fenders/chaingaurd & just ride it as is for a while. After digging in the attic i realized I have one too many frames too paint as it is :|. This morning i stripped some green off the headbadge & threw it on. Now i'm wondering what chaingaurd would have come on a 59 Wasp. Deluxe? Never knew they made balloners into the 60's
59schwinn011.jpg

59schwinn013.jpg

I'm not sure what guard came on the '59 Wasp but my '54 girl's wasp looks like this:

PA270189.jpg

The '60 wasp in this add has the same as my wasp so I would bet that is it. :wink:

1960_01.JPG

Well, i got the Wasp together w/ some more spare parts & new tires on my 59 spitfire. Ready to roll 8) I feel my addiction for bikes coming back :roll:
59schwinn017.jpg

Back