'59 Schwinn Fair Lady restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RICHIE'S 64 said:
Hey homie what do u use to bring the chrome back and not messing up the paint
I'm planning on doing a restoration on an original mark2 jaguar any advise would be good

It depends on how bad the chrome is, if it just needs cleaning I start with 0000 steel wool followed up by chrome polish (the wad type) like Eagle One/Never Dull.
If there's rust (again depending on how bad the rust is) I dip the parts in a OA (oxilic acid) bath and follow up again with 0000 steel wool and polish.

For painted parts, after washing with soap and water, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by Meguiar's Quick Wax. There are other good brands, this is just what I'm using these days.

Usually when I do this type of restoration, I blow the bike completely apart and clean/polish each part individually.

drabe said:
RICHIE'S 64 said:
Hey homie what do u use to bring the chrome back and not messing up the paint
I'm planning on doing a restoration on an original mark2 jaguar any advise would be good

It depends on how bad the chrome is, if it just needs cleaning I start with 0000 steel wool followed up by chrome polish (the wad type) like Eagle One/Never Dull.
If there's rust (again depending on how bad the rust is) I dip the parts in a OA (oxilic acid) bath and follow up again with 0000 steel wool and polish.

For painted parts, after washing with soap and water, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by Meguiar's Quick Wax. There are other good brands, this is just what I'm using these days.

Usually when I do this type of restoration, I blow the bike completely apart and clean/polish each part individually.
Thanks for the advise homi ill take pics tomorrow

drabe said:
Btw, here's a pic of a Hollywood I re-did for my wife a couple of years ago...

DSC05303.jpg

It came out great, she'd found it at an estate sale and had to have it!
[/quote]
:shock: Nice find, so shiny! :shock:

That is an exact clone of my wife's Hollywood, except she insisted she wanted black so I stripped off all the original paint. :roll: Still in pieces, waiting on warmer temps for a repaint.

Latest posts

Back