59-62 speedster in ratty orginal patina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike came to me from a guy I get schwinns from , I know he probably grabs them at half the price I pay as he finds them in barns etc.

I paid 80$ which I think is a fair/good price for what it is, overall its all original everything ,even the tires and the rims and tires are in fantastic shape with a nice bendix rear hub,everything is straight and the rear reflector managed to stay on.

I have allready tore it down , cleaned it and regreased it and put it all back together except i still gotta regrease the hubs. next issue is the seat is hagard and the spring on one side is broken so I need to find an original schwinn seat witout blowing budget or just throw any cruiser seat on there since this is to ratty to be collectable, and the pedals as you can see are toast.

Well here is is , barn fresh outta my car before tear down,the patina to me is beautiful its just well worn.

attachment.php

008-8.jpg

011-5.jpg

010-6.jpg

[imghttp://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/rustyratrod/009-8.jpg?t=1284083666][/img]

Cool find! These earlier models with painted 3 1/4" fenders seem a little more classic than the later ones. A seat is easy to find on ebay, sometimes you can get a deal on a "close enough" red seat. -Adam

Thanks guys i cant believe I got it yesterday , allready put ten hours of work into it.

Now it looks kinda clean in the picture but the inner fenders were coated about a 1/4 inch think with old mud, tar grese stuff that took about an hour to get out. The crank area was the same and each spoke was coated as well.

Complete tear down and soaking followed, everything went to a wire whell contraption my grandpa made out of a washer engine in the 70's. All the bearings were rebuilt, the hubs everything had brand new grease , all the old grease was caked , thick and stuck it was all taken off and man what a pain in the ... this bike was. Also the fenders are real clean for the age but the ends had some dings I hammered out lightly, you couldnt tell they were there.

The pedals are toast, and the seat tilts and is so thrashed its wall decor.Someone on the schwinn forums is sending me a black schwinn S seat free and some repo pedals all free, very kind of him. So i still got 80$ into it with some elbow grease and knuckle blood and besides the pedals and seat it will be all original.

In my mind it screams naturally aged rat. When the seat and pedals arrive new pics will be up of my 80$ beast.

Back