'58 Schwinn Tornado. ~Bored Rat~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this bike hanging for a few years now. The seat tube is broke clean off right above the bottom bracket, but I couldn't see it go. After a friend told me about his build, and after I discovered this site, I decided it was time for me to build a new board track racer style rat. It will also have a 49cc engine attached later on.

Anyway, a good thread is nothing without pictures.

Quick mock up.

I had a rear wheel that I took off my Trek Clyde that I turn into a fixed gear. It's the Shimano Nexus seven speed internal hub. The non-drive side flange is steel with holes that should make bolting up a gear real easy, and also threads for a drum brake (but hopefully a disk).

DSC02755-1.jpg

I dug through the pile and found a similar front wheel off a cheapo Schwinn MTB. The rim is almost a dead match. I unlaced the wheel and laced up a disk hub I scored off a cheapo Wal-Mart dual suspension bike a while back. Half way through the lacing I figured out that the spokes were a little to long since the disk hub flange was bigger. So naturally, I twist laced it to take up the slack!

DSC02753-1.jpg

DSC02754-1.jpg

I also added some white walls we had in the rack.

The Patina on this bike is perfect in my eyes! All natural! I have a pretty good collection of parts I have been hoarding for a few years. I'm really excited to start this!

DSC02757-1.jpg

DSC02760-1.jpg

DSC02759-1.jpg

The bars and fork from this bike will be added and a new stem will be bolted down once I collect enough headset parts.

DSC02126.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

I also have these from my Mini Cooper project. I'm not sure if the size will be out of proportion or not, but we'll see.

13a9.jpg

1f11.jpg

Super cool :D .Is that front rim going to be ridable?Looks awesome.

ExtraBlaze said:
Super cool :D .Is that front rim going to be ridable?Looks awesome.

Of course it's rideable! What good is a bike if you can't ride it?

I put the fork on today. It was a bit of a pain since the stem quill is only 4" long, and every other stem I had started out at about 6". For some reason the inside of the steerer tube tapers and is thicker a ways down?!?! Maybe for strength? I dunno. I found a different stem that I liked, brought it over to the trusty chop saw and hacked it down a few inches. Now it fits nice! I was really surprised that the fork came right apart even though it was so rusty! Some of the bolts were just hand tight!

I wanted to get pics, but since it was 45* in the shop today, the batteries froze and the camera and it wouldn't work. I really need to get that wood stove going.

For now, I will give you pics of my play ground to keep you coming! (These are from the beginning of the Summer, re just moved into this shop in June. It's a bit more organized now, but still an organized mess!)

DSC02598-1.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

DSC02605.jpg

DSC02608.jpg

"....I think I was there in a dream once... :mrgreen: "

...I think I was too. Nice shop! The sculpture is pretty ingenious.

The rim guy is crazy.If you did that I guess the rim will work :wink: .Cool stuff.

Yeah dude, I have been a bike mechanic since '95. I have all sorts of them technician certifications, but I'm not a tech, I'm a mechanic. I can fix .... with hammers. I repair stuff with what I have, I don't replace parts!

I did some more work on the tank tonight and also built a really cool lamp out of a 1950's salon hair dryer!

Wowzer Bowzer ..... The ReCyclest is just to Cool lol.....
Could you share with us some of what inspired you with this .... LOL
Back to Base .....OUT

Back