58 Schwinn Spitfire-Stingray Inspiration- Johnny's Ride Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: '58 Schwinn Spitfire Custom- The Stingray Inspiration

Uncle Stretch said:
So as winter slowly settles across Boise,,,,,Clancy becomes a Historian....and a story teller. :lol: The build ought to be fun. But your forgetting as the snow falls ,it will be time to hit the slopes.....maybe put a ski on the front.
Yep.....SKI Swap this weekend. There is no snow in the hills but we have had snow in town.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
i was going to try fixing a bent fork that way too. thanks for testing the process and saving me the trouble.
The sidewall flexed lots. I think a 2x6 over the fork tube may help to spread the weight.

I got a seat on epay and have it mounted up.

cman,
That is some interesting reading. Brings back lots of memories. Good luck on your build.
Thanks!!!

cashman said:
cman,
That is some interesting reading. Brings back lots of memories. Good luck on your build.
Thanks!!!

More to read in case anyone missed it. The Real history of the Muscle bike http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... uscle.html (Huffy Penguin)
http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... scle2.html (Schwinn Stingray)

ratina said:
I definitely recommend that link! its a great read...except 65-67 is missing :(

Check back......63-67 is now posted

Before you make it a "Johnny" bike - remember that Johnny is now 63 and weighs 287 lbs... :mrgreen:

Hammond Eggz said:
Before you make it a "Johnny" bike - remember that Johnny is now 63 and weighs 287 lbs... :mrgreen:
Ok I don't care what anybody says ...Thats some funny stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very funny.... That why I am putting new rubber on it.

ratina said:
Any updates on this?
Pheasent hunting, cold temps and looking for a replacement fork have stalled it. Most 20" schwinn forks have a 6 3/4" steer tube and I need 5.5" steer tube. Cutting and rethreading a fork may work depending if you can get down past the Schwinn threading. I doubt anyone would be able to cut new Schwinn threading(28tpi).

I probably will try another brand of fork for now. Thanks for asking

cman said:
Cutting and rethreading a fork may work depending if you can get down past the Schwinn threading. I doubt anyone would be able to cut new Schwinn threading(28tpi).

I probably will try another brand of fork for now. Thanks for asking

Couldnt you just use different headset on a new rethread, if the forks long enough of course.

The ski hill closes April 11 so this build may get finished soon. I finally found a fork(black) that needs to be faux finished. Just need to reassemble after that.

Uncle Stretch said:
So as winter slowly settles across Boise,,,,,Clancy becomes a Historian....and a story teller. :lol: The build ought to be fun. But your forgetting as the snow falls ,it will be time to hit the slopes.....maybe put a ski on the front.

Skiing is done for the season. Camping season starts next. Already camped a couple weekends at the ski hill in the new trailer.

I finally found the right size fork. It was painted dark blue. I didn't have any brown/red primer, so I just used the paint one hand. Then I distressed the finish. I imagine Johnny was pretty tough on his bike, so a mismatch fork works.

I took it out for the maiden voyage and snapped some cell pics. I always seem to take first rides after 10pm. Better pics later.

0422002257.jpg

0422002258.jpg

0422002259.jpg

0422002257a.jpg

0422002258a.jpg

It came out very cool. Johnny rides a cool bike!
Sean

Looks like Johnny has a tough bike!

If you're like me, your maiden voyage schedule must be heavily influenced by your kid's bedtime. :lol:

Thanks guys.

Rat Rod said:
If you're like me, your maiden voyage schedule must be heavily influenced by your kid's bedtime. :lol:
Very much so. Which turned out to be great because this might become a new favorite photo location (better camera next time). I really like the lighting and back ground. Better than a white Garage door. :wink: :wink:

I can rember seeing bikes like this when I was younger in my freinds grarage.

does anyone know where i could get a stencil or how i could replicate this 50's design on the front tubes of the frame?
0422002257.jpg

it would match well for this stingray moto im building that will have a similar design on the tank 8)

There is a seller on ebay that has them for 26 inch frames.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Back