'56 American : Finished (for now)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have been looking for an original paint bike for a while and I really liked the color combo on this frame set that Simpleman had for sale. So far I switched bars and put on a black pair of wheels that I had already. I really like how tight a set of 26x2.125 tires tuck up in those middleweight fenders. I also buffed and waxed what is still there of the paint and it really came out nice with just the right amount of chips and rust.

561-1.jpg

563-1.jpg

562.jpg

Re: '56 American

oh yeah! :mrgreen: that big black wheel/tire combo looks sweet stuffed under those fenders! :wink: good to see you building again.

Re: '56 American

Thanks for the comments guys. Spare time has been hard to come by lately but I got a headlight put together. I used a bracket for from a bent front rack and a cut down stainless fork to make the bracket for the headlight. The headlight is a tractor light that has a red lens on one side and an orange one on the other. I have the stuff to convert the headlight to led and I hope to get that part done over the weekend.

DSC05972.jpg

DSC05973.jpg

DSC05974.jpg

DSC05975.jpg

Re: '56 American : update 9/24

I love the black tire/rim combo on it......looks great!!!!

Re: '56 American : update 9/24

Made a little more progress today. I got the chainguard cleaned up, chain put on, fenders securely mounted, switched to black grips, made the brake strap, and got the siren mounted (also from simpleman). The chainguard has a dent I need to take out because it rubs the chain but it is coming together. After these pictures I threw on a spare seat and some pedals and took it for a ride. I was thinking that I would use a chain attached to seat and the siren, but it's super easy to just reach back and do it by hand without having to pull on a chain.

DSC05976.jpg

DSC05977.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

Re: '56 American : update 9/25

love the flattened spoon brake holder, looks cool! One question though, I thought you couldn't have red on the front of a bike???

I like what you're doing with your bike, it looks real solid.I didnt like the chain on my siren so I connected it to a brake lever . Is the red light gonna flash?
Cool build 8)

Outskirtcustoms: I'm not sure about the red light on a front of a bike. I guess I'll worry about it if someone tells me I need to take it off.

1manta: It will be just a regular light.

My intent wasn't to make a police type bike, but with the siren and the red light it is heading in that direction. I think I will use the amber lens or make a clear one instead. Here is a quick video of the siren working. It's a phone camera so the quality isn't the greatest.

Re: '56 American : update 10/5

Mark....I just love the way balloon tires look on a middleweight bike. Inspired me to dig one of mine out and put some big rollers on it :mrgreen:

Re: '56 American : update 10/5

Simpleman: Love what you did with your Huffy!

I was able to get the headlight working. I got a cheap 9 led flashlight and cut the front part off, cut spaces in the headlight for the parts (not pretty but it works), used some jbweld to secure the bulb, and wired it together.

Front
DSC06070.jpg

Back
DSC06069.jpg

DSC06071.jpg

DSC06073.jpg

Re: '56 American : update 10/10

Headlight turned out cool. I like the amber lens too. :lol: Turned out to be a nice bike with all your touches. :wink:

Re: '56 American : update 10/10

Glad you guys are liking it so far. The led lights have sort of a bluish tint to them and when they shine through the amber lens it gives the light a nice greenish color. It doesn't really pick it up in the picture but it looks cool in person.

A while ago I got a seat from unchained. It was pretty beat up and was missing one of the bolts for the pan and the brackets to hold down the springs. I stripped the pans down to bare metal and sprayed everything with some flat black. I replaced the bolts in the pan and made some new brackets out of some more silverware for a little added detail (even though no one will ever see it :D ). I was going to just use some black vinyl for the seat, but then I remembered a late 60's Eldorado I had for a little while that had houndstooth interior. I thought it might look cool on a bike seat. So I found a ladies jacket at goodwill that donated some material. I'll get some pictures of it on the bike tomorrow when there is some light.

DSC06075.jpg

DSC06079-1.jpg

DSC06078.jpg

Back