55 Columbia Speedliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked up this Columbia Speedliner last night. I was told it was original and stored in abasement forever used as a stationary bike. Anyway turns out its been repainted. So now its time to decide what to do with it. What do you guys think for a build. It has a 2 speed bendix hub but its a lever action not a kick back, and believe it or not the light isnt all corroded inside.

20161206_134925_zpsz9nrfe0s.jpg
20161206_134902_zps4z7zd2nr.jpg
20161206_132528_zpsuxnl2rgg.jpg
20161206_135319_zpscwbzpaiw.jpg
20161206_135319_zpscwbzpaiw.jpg
VZM.IMG_20161205_214929_zpszdgqpd7a.jpg

First, I would say: "Alright! I've got a 55 Columbia!"

I would take it apart, clean and lube everything, including the 2 speed hub. If it was used in 2nd gear all of the time as an exercise bike, I'll bet it's in good shape. Here's a webpage on the 2 speed Bendix hubs:
http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

Then I would try to find the right shifter and cable for the two speed. That is probably the original hub for that bike, as the kickbacks came out a few years later.

Next the tires and tubes would be gently taken off, saved or sold, and replaced with some high pressure 26 x 1.75 or 1.50 tires on those same rims. This bike will fly in 2nd gear with good rolling tires.

Then some flat handlebars for a racer look.

If the repaint can be removed, you probably have good original paint. I'll bet the whole bike was red, but the best way to tell is when you pull the forks to clean and lube the headset bearings. The fork tube will show the original color. If that repaint comes off easily somehow, I would try to get it all back to 1955, except for the other changes I mentioned above. I don't think the handlebars or handlebar stem is Columbia so it won't be perfectly original. If the paint isn't usable, paint it any color you like or leave it as is.

Whatever you do, you should have a thread on it to show us what you do with it.

I took it for a ride yesterday and it was almost comical. Theres a parking lot next door thats a long driveway then it circles and comes back. It happened to be set up just right for me so I hopped on and went. Ok so I get on and start riding and Im shocked at how smooth this thing rides,I noticed the spokes are making noise in the front or back so they need tensioning. I thought No big deal and kept riding then the seat flipped back and smashed me in the balls and now I'm standing and trying to finish the loop and what happens the handle bars pop right out of the neck and I almost fall off. So I hop off and walk it home. Now I readjust everything and took it for a ride again, other than the spokes I'm impressed with the ride, it does seem like its stuck in low gear though because its topped out at a low speed. Then I get to the end of the drive way and realize the brakes do nearly nothing, Im slamming the pedals back over and over and its just coasting, so I dragged my feet to stop and then just road home.

I got home and called the oldest bike shop in town about getting new brakes for the hub, but he said most likely they arent available. But bring it in and maybe he can do something. So I maybe going for a hub.....

The 2-speed manual never had great brakes, but they're good enough to stop a cruiser safely. I bet the hub will brake and shift properly once it's been repacked and you have a proper shifter/cable hooked up. The hub will perform much better, in terms of spinning, shifting (with a cable), and stopping once the spent lube is removed and fresh lube is in place.

Anyway, that's an awesome bike you got there! Tighten up all the fasteners, clean/lube all the moving parts, get those wheels some lovin', and enjoy a fairly unique no-bar cruiser from an awesome era in American bicycles.

Thanks guys.

So I went in the basement and pulled the rear wheel off with the intention of trying to take the hub apart, I figure if I can do the shimano 333 I can do the Bendix. But what I noticed once I got it out is the small side of the axle where the rod would go in and the bell crank would attach it looks like there is a screw sitting in there. Is it supposed to be there? Ive also never seen the big side of the axle have a slot in it before. I took some pics. I figured I'd ask before I started tearing into it.

Attachments

• 20161207_165452.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • 20161207_165517.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
I had the same hub, but no shifter. It was stuck in high gear so I think that screw has yours held in first gear somehow.

Check the diagram on that hub to see if the screw is holding something.

Last edited:
I think the screw might be MS39 in the diagram? Does this hub have a long rod that slides into the axle under the bell crank like the Shimano 333?

Todays update:

So aparently there arent many people with a 55 out there because I cant really find any pics....
I got frustrated and wrote to Mr Columbia who told me they didnt make many and showed me a sheet that said the bike was blue and gray, red and gray, or yellow and green. So my guess is mine was blue and green. Also the chain guard decal is nonexistant.

Took the wheels off to take to the bike shop.

So now were at a cross roads and Id love input here because I dont know what to do. If people are telling me the bike isnt very common, I feel like I should restore it to stock to preserve a vintage bike especially because it has all original parts except the handle bars . Also if it isnt common is this a sought after bike and is it valuable? So I should bring it back to stock to preserve value? Or is it just not a Schwinn so its worthless.

If it is worthless were back to the first question do I restore it? Or is it time to start modifying it and make something different and cool? The only thing is because of its originality I feel bad not bringing it back to stock. I really dont know...
What do you guys think?

I would guess you'll put about as much money into it as you would get out, with a few dollars left in your pocket. It needs a good repaint, which will be costly to sell it for a decent price. A spray can job in the garage looks ok, but will hurt the resale value.
Did the bike shop say they could overhaul your 2 speed hub? Many times they have to do it by ear, because they've never seen one. Be sure to get it all back if they say it's no good. Then redo it yourself.
So, after finding original handlebars, getting it painted, tires and the maintenance it needs, it will be a great bike to have, and ride. But for a profit may or may not work.

I'd paint it myself in the garage with spray cans, then clean and lube everything and ride it proudly.

Just guessing.

The paint is the least of my worries actually.... I used to work in a restoration shop and I used to prep and paint small things on show cars so I can lay a pretty nice coat of paint on this bike. Handle bars are fairly cheap on eBay. The bike shop says they wI'll take it apart and see what they can do, and they will retorque the spokes too... My biggest concern is if the brakes are totally worn out of the hub. A Nos hub is 125. But if totally perfect it's worth $100 or of I'm the only one that thinks it's something special the should be preserved, then I might as well throw a Shimano 333 in the rim and use a regular thumb shift and then paint it what ever color I want...

I'll bet the brakes are good, if most of it's life it was an exercise bike, the brakes were probably not used, and then only to stop the wheel, not a lot of weight. Still need the shifter and everything though.

The 3 speed will need a coaster brake or you'll have to mount handbrakes somehow. I had good luck with a shimano w coaster for years. You could get a Nexus w coaster hub, shifter and all for about 80 bucks or a SA kickback hub from Amazon for about 70 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SG-3...on&ie=UTF8&qid=1481613319&sr=1-25-spons&psc=1

Latest posts

Back