'54 Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this thing a while back and couldn't resist, once I saw the skiptooth. It didn't have any wheels when I got it, which is why I paid only $20 for it. I had plans to radically alter it but after looking over all those hand painted stripes I decided it was time to leave this one alone and just rock it. Rear wheel was completely built from scratch and front just needed paint. Handmade rear 11 tooth sprocket, so yes it does work. Great rider, but seat was designed for daintier derrieres! I picked the light blue for the wheels to compliment the paint on the bike and to give it a girlie edge, it is after all a chick bike, and I may want to sell it some day! :wink:

road03.jpg

road02.jpg

road01.jpg

Re: '40 Roadmaster

Nice clean bike! The first Roadmasters with that frame were made in 1954 and with that headbadge I imagine it is a 54 or 55. The serial number on the bottom bracket will have a letter, five numbers and a suffix with two numbers followed by Cw. The two numbers will be the year the bike was made.

rms37 said:
Nice clean bike! The first Roadmasters with that frame were made in 1954 and with that headbadge I imagine it is a 54 or 55. The serial number on the bottom bracket will have a letter, five numbers and a suffix with two numbers followed by Cw. The two numbers will be the year the bike was made.

That's what I originally thought about the last three numbers, but I didn't think they did skiptooth so late. Correction made and thanks!

1954 was a big transition year for Roadmasters. In 1953 AMF/CWC bikes still all had rear facing dropouts and 1” pitch drive trains. Your bike has the new for 1954 frame with forward dropouts, the revised straight chain stays, and the self binding seat post but with the old 1” pitch drive train which was being phased out at that time.

If you don't mind posting or PMing me the rest of the serial number I would love to add the bike to my data base.

Thanks

Back