53 Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a project that I've been tinkering with off and on this summer, saved from the trash at an estate sale, brush painted black and silver over the chrome
DSC01461.jpg

It had a lot of character, and had a blues brothersish quality to it, but also had lots of issues that kept it from being rideable as is
DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

Broken spokes, loose new departure hubs, rotten rubber etc

I didn't document the build as much as I had originally wanted to, but I stripped down the frame and fork to bare metal with a brass bristle wire wheel and primed it. Decided on a red and white twotone approach
DSC01500.jpg

I had a bit of trouble getting anyone at the LBS's in Omaha to tackle relacing my rear wheel so I could keep my New Departure hub, but in the end our recycle bike shop here in town had a nice used coaster 26 with nice chrome for 20 bucks
DSC01525.jpg

I mocked it up with some bell streamliners and a bell seat along with a pair of nos red glitter grips from the recycle bike shop

Finished up the chainguard and added a nice chrome bell where the tank ought to be, if I had one
DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

I never had a headbadge for this bike and my folks had given me a few mementos from my Grandpa after he passed including a sweet brass bolo tie clasp that i rounded on a chainlink fence post with a rubber mallet and then epoxied it to the headtube.
DSC00357.jpg

Thinking about naming it Red Bull, although I'm sure that's been used by someone else.

I keep scratching the paint on the bars, so I think I'd like to switch them out to something chrome... any suggestions?

Also the Bell Streamliners are ok, but I'd love to switch to the ones I saw on the Big Daddy bike at Kmart, anyone know of a way to get some out of Huffy without buying the whole ride?

Latest posts

Back