52 schwinn cog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 52 schwinn with a skiptooth chain, spocket, and cog. I am want to buy a new set wheels but i want to know if it was possiable to put a skiptooth cog on a new set of wheels.

Get a cog with an even # of teeth, cut off every other tooth, works great.

road03.jpg

These are cheap Chinese wheels.

JoKeR63 said:

road03.jpg

These are cheap Chinese wheels.

:? really? from what I heard the links are a different length than a regular 1/2" chain..

The cog must have an even number of teeth to start with. Here's a comparison of the chains:

2wp2oo4.jpg

I have done this successfully on the front chainring a number of times.

My mistake, yes I was cutting teeth out and using a 1/2 inch chain.

it's really not that bad, I recently bit the bullet and bought some spokes and tried wheelbuilding. Go to sheldonbrown.com and look up wheelbuilding and it walks you thru it step by step. Now i can build what I want instead of what i can find that is still usable or buying new wheels. I've built a red band kickback into an S-2, a three speed wheel and a few fronts. you dont need a truing stand if you get creative with some old forks and a set of brake calipers.

i am thinking about selling the wheels that came on it because of what it cost to get a set trued is so high

monstermike said:
JoKeR63 said:

[These are cheap Chinese wheels.

so do u have the orginal skiptooth chain on that

Yep, That was kind of the point.

Back