51 Schwinn Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this for a couple months, but I'll call it a 'fresh find'. I was planning on restoring it back to it's former glory as a Hornet, but it seems straight bar tanks are impossible to find, unless you have $$$$$$$$. So, guess what's going to be my first Rat Rod? I'm thinking about doing the stereotypical Rat, red rims with whitewalls, flat black frame, etc. But I've got to take some time to think of some ways to make it unique.
1013.jpg

It's not original, it's a cheap repaint. I only figured out it was a Hornet after a ton of research. The frame is actually pretty pitted in some spots, which is why I want to repaint it. The fenders are what the bike would have looked like, had someone not repainted it.

I would first try a paint thinner bath to see whats underneath. Nice bike. Looks like a sound basis.

If it's that pitted, I'd pull everything off and go over it with a bunch of "filler primer" and wet sand it. Once it's smooth(er) use some sort of satin or lighter color. Since it's not going to ever look really great with glossy paint, work with what's there, it'll end up looking better.

Could always go back to rust...might look even better. :wink:

Back