51 schwinn hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest ebay purchase finally arrived today. Got it out of the box and looked up the serial #s. It's a 24inch hornet or panther (I think most panthers had springers) from April '51. It came without bars, pedals, or a seat so I tossed on some junk parts I had. Frame is brush painted black and may be able to remove it with some luck. Wheels are S2's with schwinn front hub and New departure oiler rear, a little crusty but definitely keepers. If anyone has info on the 24 inch schwinns I would love to hear it.

PICT3686.jpg

PICT3687.jpg

I also put a monark tank on the huffy camaro I recently listed, looks better than the original. I may sell the camaro unit if anyone's interested.

PICT3688.jpg

man that schwinn looks good as is, i love those wheels, I used to have a schwinn with whitewalls like that but i gave it away as present....i miss that bike.

i agree the monark tank looks so much better, i dont know what but the tank on the camaros never really looked too good to me, they are very...boxey

oh man....... some solid white tires on that schwinn, with the bars turned upside down........ youd have your self a runner.

Nice Schwinn, looks like a DX frameset. Hornets and Panthers both had straight bars instead of the curved lower frame bar.
I am currently restoring a 26" DX.

Cool, thanks. I don't know much about these bikes, but could'nt pass it up for $40. Anyone know where I can get a 24'' DX tank at a good price?

I'd get off of 40 clams for that sweet ride!

Just a Q...Should it have a skip link chain or did 24's come with a 1/2" chain?

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think they went to 1/2'' chain after the war. I wish it was a skip link though.

24" tanks are rare (read expensive). As far as the 1" pitch chain goes it could have come from the factory with either. Schwinn used skip tooth chain on lots of postwar bikes.

51wasp1.jpg

'51 WASP
51panthermet.jpg

'51 Panther
51hornet.jpg

'51 Hornet

Phantoms and some of the other higher ends (Autocycles) used a B-6 Cantilever frame, but Panthers, Hornets in '51 would have all been staightbar.

Nice bike, try a little lacquer thinner and cloth, give it a rub and see what's under there. 8)

Since y'all be show'in off your 24" Schwinns,let me show you one of mine...my beloved '53 Schwinn DX TruRat...

100_1948.jpg

100_1954.jpg

100_1951.jpg

100_1952.jpg

Thanx for allowing me to show in your thread...P 8)
PS-it is a factory skiptooth

That's a JERALD sulky racing slick...they are awesome.I have another brand-new one for another one of my 24" Schwinns,a '61 Skipper which
is not completed yet.Like TruRat,it's gonna be TruSinew (aka muscle) as I'm trying to accomplish a '60's digger look...more on that one when it's completed.You can get your sulky slicks @ jeraldsulky.com if I remember right...P 8)

I'm gonna build a 24 out of My 26"camelback, When I get some coaster24s. Might have to pop some muscle bars on It! Thanx for the Info Pappy!

Pappy said:
That's a JERALD sulky racing slick...they are awesome.I have another brand-new one for another one of my 24" Schwinns,a '61 Skipper which
is not completed yet.Like TruRat,it's gonna be TruSinew (aka muscle) as I'm trying to accomplish a '60's digger look...more on that one when it's completed.You can get your sulky slicks @ jeraldsulky.com if I remember right...P 8)
Wow! Horse cart tires. :shock:

Thanx to all for your comments...necessaryevil,I didn't mean to highjack your thread,I apologize...P 8)

Back