'50s Murray racer build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several months I've been collecting parts for a racer-style build. My Nel Lusso motorbike is still running great and I love tooling around my neighborhood with it, but after surfing around this site, http://www.motorbicycling.com and http://www.motoredbikes.com I've been wanting to build something more complicated with higher performance.

Nel Lusso build - my first motored bike:
http://motorbicycling.com/f41/huffy-nel-lusso-1st-build-new-22372.html

My wife decided she wanted a motored bike after riding mine, so we picked up two frames at a swap meet - one for her and one for my racer. Hers is built and in the tweaking stage, but mine turned out to have some frame damage that made me uncomfortable using it with a motor. It ended up being the bike I built to post in my Intro.

Out of the blue, I found an old Murray frame for cheap on craigslist and had another wonderful starting point... I'm not shooting for any particular style, just something that suits me and what I want the bike to do. The only really creative thing I plan on doing is a custom fiberglass tank.

The build starts in earnest this week, stay tuned for updates!

2011-03-20_17-53-18_331.jpg

2011-03-20_17-53-37_213.jpg

2011-03-20_17-53-55_527.jpg

So far, here's the list of ingredients for this build:
50's Murray frame
Troxel spring seat
80cc Grubee GT5 w/ CNS
Manic Mechanic billet intake
Sick Bike Parts HD shift kit
Sick Bike Parts tuned pipe
Avid BB5 disc brakes, 160mm front & 180mm rear
CST Cyclops tires
Heavy-Duty reinforced Monark repop fork w/ disc adapter
ebay-special stem and flipped moustache handlebars.

I built the wheels myself from Sun Mammoth aluminum rims, 12ga spokes, a Shimano front hub and SRAM i-Motion 3-speed rear hub.

I really love the patina on the frame. It contrasts well against the shiny black rims and springer. Its very cool as is. Put a motor on it and you will have a beautie!

Thanks! It almost looks too good to strip and paint, but I think I'm gonna do it anyway... I have a plan of what this bike will look like.

Things have been really buys lately, so progress has been slow. Nothing worth showing pictures of... I have the foam blank for the gas tank carved and the filler neck / petcock prepared, but am still working out how to mount it.

I need to spend some time figuring out the headset cup and bearing situation... As assembled for the photos, the top race bottoms out against the cup before the bearing is held in tight. I think I can just swap bearings around until I find the right combination that fits. Should get some time to tinker with it tomorrow, but I've also gotta finish reworking a tandem my wife bought before 5/26 so we can go on the tandem night pub crawl in Wichita!

Back