5-speed hub spacing a lot wide than coaster?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm planning on conversion of my son's coaster bike to a 5-speed. I've got the parts. The rear hub looks a lot wider. Is it supposed to be that wide, or did I get an incorrect hub? If it supposed to be that wide I'll have to spread the stays.

Multispeed wheels typically have wider dropout spacing than singles do.
Break out the 2x4. Just make sure you widen the stays close to equal left and right.

kingfish254 said:
Multispeed wheels typically have wider dropout spacing than singles do.
Break out the 2x4. Just make sure you widen the stays close to equal left and right.
I found a thread for using a spring compressor tool to widen the inside of stays for wider tires. I wasn't able to find anything with techniques for widening dropouts. Do you have a link for a thread I missed?

i spread them using a piece of all thread / 4 washers and 4 nuts, Ive done it to painted bikes too without any mishaps, just tape the dropouts as long as the paint is dry.

I tried the CCR's all-thread tech with mixed results. I modified Sheldon's 2x4 tech. You need a friend and two 2x4 of equal length. Place the 2x4's so one end touches behind the seattube and then on past the dropouts. Each of you grab the ends and pull equally. Anytime you spread a frame you may need to check the allignment on the dropouts.

after you widen the stays, take a close look at the drop outs to to make sure they are still parallel. you may need to get creative and make a tool or a guage to check and adjust the angles. good luck!

Back