5 dollar mcnasty- spiders nest

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting with a huffy goodvibe I picked up for 5 dollars.

3n23kb3o8ZZZZZZZZZ97cecef8ece2c3d1721.jpg

guy said it was left in the shed for who knows how long. I'd imagine at least 10 years. there was spider eggs everywhere. Under the seat, in the handlebars, inside the rims, chainguard, pretty much anywhere you think there could be.

In the process of adding a banana seat, balloon whitewalls, new handlebars, and some fenders. I'd like to paint the rims, but tbh, I dont feel like taping everything off, and I dont know how I'd fair with de/relacing, so that may be on the backburner for now.

pics will come with progress

dsc0342n.jpg

making progress
new fatty tire transplant
same with crank
new pedals
reverse engineered the bars
banana seat'd

prob gonna throw some new bars on there, and i can lower the seat down to the tire if I really wanted.

front fender will come soon
along with a repainted chainguard

wheels are a little wobbly, wondering how to fix?

so i ran into a major problem i'm assuming

the cover for the hub bearings on the left side of the rear wheel is off

it's not threaded, and pressure seems to not be snapping it into place. I have exposed bearings and 2 already fell out of the ring.

I'm not liking this

any ideas on if it's fixable? or am I going to have to revert back to the dirty rim/tire combo it came with?

:shock: I don't understand. :? All my left dust covers are held in place by the brake arm, dust covers which press on don't usually have a snap point, and most importantly, your bearings should be held in place by the bearing races with no dust covers at all!

it doesnt seem to really affect anything, i just dont like the idea of the elements getting in there. the frame wasn't really meant for the fatty tires, i just had them and they look 100x better. nothing's rubbing, but i think the spacing on everything might be why it's got some wobble and the cover isn't pressed on all the way

update-

threw some new handlebars on there
lowered the seat some more
fixed the hub problem- the coaster break wasnt seated right and left a gap, thus exposing the dustcap
front fender is in the works of being painted, still debating on if i want the chainguard back on it or not

Latest posts

Back