'48 Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFC here, picked up this 48 roadmaster at a flea market for 100 bucks. Had the original Pennsylvania tires on it, I kept those :lol: Ride isnt bad, can't complain. Already swapped tires, did a tune-up and flipped the bars. The horn in the tank was extremely corroded and had the original, 1948 batteries in it. I can't get the horn to work, maybe it's time for a new element :( Anyways, havent even tried to clean up the paint, any suggestions? Plans for this are to put smaller fenders on it, keep the original paint, build a box in place of the rack, and make a "GRRRR" license plate for it like the ones off the GTO's. Don't really know why, i just think it'd look cool, haha. Make it a parts runner :lol: Anyways, here's some crummy pics. If youve viewed my Rat-Phoon thread you'll know im having an issue with pictures, and will get some good ones ASAP. All suggestions are welome, whether it be where to go with the bike, what to do and/or ideas for tires, rack, etc.
Later, RFC
Roadmaster.jpg

roadmaster2.jpg

GRR.jpg

try putting a Liiittle wd40 (probably rusted inside) in the horn, there should be a screw on the back, turn that a little while pressing the button with new batteries. Make sure to clean off any corrosion on the contact part where the bateries rest. this is how i was told to make mine work and it did. Hope this helps. Nice ride. :wink:

Dan Jose said:
try putting a Liiittle wd40 (probably rusted inside) in the horn, there should be a screw on the back, turn that a little while pressing the button with new batteries. Make sure to clean off any corrosion on the contact part where the bateries rest. this is how i was told to make mine work and it did. Hope this helps. Nice ride. :wink:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot! The chrome on this bike is cleaning up excellent, the fork trusses came out like brand new. Lovin' it so far!

Need some more pics wth close ups. Amazing what a $100.00 bike can turn into. Top Notch!

el_espanto said:
where dou guys find tank bikess for $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
everything i seeis easily over $250
Found this one at a flea market, and the condition it was in, the patina and how original it was, I had no problem laying a hundred bucks on the old man. He was really nice too...you just gotta keep your eye out. They're out there!

Kuttnhack said:
Need some more pics wth close ups. Amazing what a $100.00 bike can turn into. Top Notch!
Im trying...my buddy with the camera decided to take a long vacation :shock: He's killin' me!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Sweet ride! I was just in Pittsburgh visiting family/friends for Christmas. Let me know if you want to sell the fenders.
Thanks, yeah Pittsburgh hasn't been the greatest lately. Great stuff to whip the cars around in empty parking lots, but me being tow truck driver for a local garage has kept me plenty busy :D I don't think I'll be selling the fenders, they have excellent patina and it gives me something to ride when the roads are wet. Yes, I ride in the rain, bikes are in my blood! :mrgreen:

Back