'41 Schwinn Built Speedway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Back in '95, a friend of mine bought a Schwinn springer from an old guy for $25. Here he is showing me the bike for the first time.

I wanted it and he wouldn't sell it. I bugged him for a couple of months but nothing doing. Then one day he called me. He was frantic. He was finishing a Black Phantom and wanted to show it in a day or two but messed up the tank decal. He needed a Phantom decal sheet. I just happened to have one and told him I'd give deliver the decal sheet to him (1 hour drive one way) but he had to sell me the springer for $25. I had him over a barrel and he capitulated. I dropped everything and headed to Springfield. A 2 hr. drive and the bike was mine.

Here's a couple of pics of it as I tore it down and stripped off the old paint. Had a "Squirt" decal on each fender. Just couldn't save them.

I took it to the machine shop where I worked and bead blasted the whole thing. Then is sat in my basement for about 15yrs. before I had the parts gathered to build it. I finally finished it last week. I still have some bugs to work out.

This bike started out a model BA-97. Same as the BA-107 less tank, rack, and light but this one has the optional springer. Bike is badged "Speedway" which was the name used by Louisville Cycle Supply in KY. I used a 2000 Schwinn cruiser wheel set with Shimano 7 speed. I added a drum brake from a moped I got for $3 at the salvage yard. Tank is repop, the good chrome one sold by Maple Island. Made in Taiwan, the molds for the tank were accidently destroyed so no more. Schwinn script brake lever. Unknown seat type. Paint is Krylon rattle can. I wanted to do this one in an off the wall color. I think I accomplished that. Rack is Schwinn that someone chromed. I got this one from Bob U. the seat guy. Rear reflector is original. I filed the pits out of it with needle files then sent it to Proctor for chrome. Proctor did all chrome except rack. 32" Torrington bars and a Jiffy kickstand. The Hank red line tires are awesome. Like riding a road bike. With the Nexus 7 and a 52t chain ring this bike is fast. So... here it is. Gary

You're too kind Luke. I've threatened to change the color several times already. I should have made it red and black and been done with it. Not too late. Gary

Back