3D printed bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the car enthusiast forum i frequent there was a discussion of 3d printing being the future of car customization. thre was some talk of how long it takes and the strength of the parts and size limitations. apparently one of the guys uses an industrial sized one at his work and designed this:
bikepic1.jpg

and then printed the frame and built the bike:
IMG_1030.JPG

I'm pretty fascinated by the idea of 3D printing your own parts and crazy frames. it wont replace finding old bikes and making something new but i think it could still be really helpful in working out designs or making samll unobtanium pieces.
well, just wanted to share.

Look at the curves on er'! Uhhh what was the topic about again? Just kidding. It would be cool to print a frame to check sizing and clearances then weld up the real deal. I once saw an adjustable wrench be 3D printed. It was blown off with air. The thumb screw worked and the jaw went up and down. All in one printing!

Kamilios doesn't print out his frames though. This frame was designed on the computer then printed out on a 3D printer. They have ones that can print metals, but I think only strong enough for jewelry and the like. 3D printers are going to change things up, big time.

We have a kid at work who bought a $1500 3d printer from Make Magazine he's been printing out some toys and a few real parts for a co worker. He's doing a tuneup on the machine now. He said he would try some turn signal housings for my motorcycle when he gets time.
Even on this cheap machine detail is great!

Rapid prototyping is very cool. We do it where I work. We design in Inventor, email the step file, then 3 days later get a box of parts. We can specify just about every type of plastic or rubber than can be injection molded.

That bike frame is amazing.

They are even 3d printing food and human body organs.

Back