37/38 Henderson project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, introducing myself and a new project. Love thisa site been followin and observing, on and off, a while but never posted anything. Been dabling with vintage bikes a few years now, a fun hobby. So the latest i picked up, a couple months back, is a 1937/38 Henderson. Been busy with work so mostly have just been collecting parts. The bike was pretty complete when I got it but very rusty (Sweet) the tires totally dry rotted and the rims pretty shot. the original new departure hubs cleaned up pretty good but decided not to use them. found a yellow band two speed kickback set up for 105 gauge spokes and an old Atom Style front drum brake hub. the hub I think came off a moped or somthing. it seems to be french in Manufacture the axle will have to be machined to fit the front forks but oh well it's pretty kewl and it's only like 20 thousands slot that needs to be made, but it's also 105 gauge. using stainless 105 gauge spokes and lacing them to some Velocity Pshyco rims. with Schwalbe 26x2.235 brown fat Franks.
right now the Bike is in Pieces put the axle on the lathe and machined that so that it fits the front forks. am now working on the forks installing a lug for the drum brake. oh and have to straighten one bent truss rod. Have most of the parts to put the project together. Brooks B135 Saddle, torrington red dot reflector pedals, phantom crank, the rims the spokes the tires and tubes. probably going to paint it back to original color black and white paint scheme. but still debating some things. i'll post what pictures i have

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ ... henderson/
055.jpg

HendersonBadge.jpg

the hub i'm putting on the front:
photo5.jpg

Welcome to the site. I just have one suggestion. Before you go stripping/repainting the frame and forks, try cleaning up the original paint and putting a coat of wax on it. It looks like it may clean up nice, it would be a shame to remove 70 years of history.

yeah still running things through my head on what to do with the paint. still not sure yet. the paint on the frame is alot worse than it looks. that wsn't a good picture. i'll take some more here soon. the forks were so rusty that therew wasn't one bit of paint on them. alsot of the frame is the same way. solid but surface rusted. who knows we will see, it me get put together and ridden and painted at another date. thanks, am excited to work on it though.

yeah, my first impression was moped hub also. just because of the axel size. had to turn just over a 16 inch deep slot into it for it to fit the forks. fits very nice though! current picks should be this weekend.

Cool Project.

If that hub is from a moped, you will probably need to get some 11 or 12 gauge spokes to fit those holes. Or you could redrill the hub to accomodate smaller spokes.

hey all was finally able to snap some pictures of the current stsatus, sorry about the quality, only had my camera phone yesturday. The wheels are all laced and trued, had to drill a hole and press a lug into the fork for the drum brake. Welded it from the back and ground it out, turned out good. Am off to the powder coater today to talk to them about the frame, forks and truss rods. the truss rods need to much work for chrome or nickle.

photo21.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo13.jpg

Nice wheel set, 2 speed and drum brake. 8) For the truss rods and any other chrome you're going to powdercoat, my local guy has a "chrome" powdercoat that has a nickel look to it. May be worth looking into for your parts. This build is sweet.

CFB,
This is quite an interesting project you have going..
I am very in to the older Schwinn built stuff, and this one definitely got my attention. I have been away from this newsgroup for a while due to other stuff going on, but when I've had the chance, I read stuff as much as I can. I'll be watching this continue (I hope!) on through to completion (are they ever REALLY done?). The badge itself is beautiful!

I noticed you mentioned powdercoating some of it. I have seen the "nickel" look stuff and will be using it on some of what I am in the middle of too. It looks pretty good on what I've seen it on. The guy I use calls it "near chrome", but of course he has his own names for everything..... He's done some off the wall stuff for me over the last several years, and has a good understanding of where I want to end up with most everything I take to him. The material is very durable so far, and the first bike I used it on hasn't got a mark on it yet.

Keep posting your progress... I want to see this one.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
EDIT: To clarify a point... I do not only like old Schwinn stuff, I like ALL the old stuff. I thought about this for a while, and while my preference is old Schwinn, I am not so stuck on them that other bikes don't get a look. I like 'em ALL! (Though old ballooners have captured my heart, and more recently, Cycle-Trucks.....)
I feel better now......
REC

thanks, Dig the pre war bikes here. They seem to have a flow. LOL
havnt had a chance to play in the garage with all the holiday fun, maybe tonight will be a good one to fire up the woodburner and play.
I was bummed, no christmas bike parts. LOL oh well!

Hope everyone had a great holiday

Oh, Anyone sitting on a elgin twinn bar frame they might want to let go of? Already thinking about future projects and have always wanted a twin bar, not picky twin 20 thru 60. Just dig the frames on them.

well spring is here, been collecting some parts and preping the frame for paint. fun fun, it was pitted to heck all over and the alignmnt of the frame itself was out the whole ear was bnt and pushed to the left, so straightened it and fitted the hubs. Also the front forks were bent thesame way, they're nice and striaght now as well. Media blasted it and skim coated it with some body filler and laid down a first coat of primer. Probably getting its second and hopefully final coat today.

Here are some pics of current status. Have most of the parts to finish it, well at least get it rolling. Sill deciding what to do for the front brake linckage, thinking Rod brake system to pull the brake lever on the front drum.
Oh well that can come later.

DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0375.jpg

DSCN0370.jpg

DSCN0372.jpg

027.jpg

024.jpg

019.jpg

013.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

here is a link to all the photos on Photobucket

enjoy
Rick

slowly but surely, LOL got more primer on yesturday, but havnt been able to touch it since. looks good though,hopefully the final coat of primer. I'll takw some pics tomorrow. and hopefully will be putting some color on it.

here are some pics of other other projects, for the future.

Not sure what this one is, think it might be an Excelsior motobike B-10-E. or somthing similar, a colson, or elgin maybe, the front forks arn't original,
and are completely toasted. it's a 26" ballon bike. any help ID'ing would be fabulous. anyone have early middle 30's truss rod fork they want to sell?
should b riding this one soon, leaving it rusty for now and have most part to make it go. well need a nice aged set for it though.
DSCN0454.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

Here's an Old Hawthorne Flyer, probably late 20's early 30's, had the metal clad wooden rims on it, but were completely toasted.
half of them were gone and rotted in to where it was sitting when found. The hubs wwere decent though. rusty, but solid.
Old New departure hubs. a rear model c,c and a front model M, I think.
this is a 27 inch tire bike. not sure what am going to do with it yet.
DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0462.jpg

Also have a trike project, a 69 schwinn town and country, gonna do a 26 inch wheel conversion and through a DX tank frame at it or a phantom
frame. with some super long font forks. still running pictures in the head on that one oo.

Peace Out!
Rick

Back