'35 Elgin ... Updated 7-13-2009 ... It's Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a hack and this is a hack restoration.
Here is what I'm starting with.
DSC02754.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

The paint is all Krylon. Hunter Green and Ivory. Hand sanded, I need to buy power tools. Notice I remembered to get my feet in frame.
DSC02770.jpg

The headbadge colors are reversed. My bad! Pepper doing some QC on my rattle can paint job.
DSC02772.jpg

My ability with tape and paint is getting better.
DSC02773.jpg

Re: '35 Elgin

Self proclaimed hack. Thanks for the compliments. I think it's gonna be a good rider.

nice job! love the green. i need you to tape off the frame of the packard i am restoring! :D hey, the red pinstripe on your shoes, would be a good contrast with the green and white!!! :D

rad project right there.......heck yah love the chuck taylors shoes......thats all i wear or some old school van checker slip ons.......you did a sweet job on the paint.......i do agree some pinning over the outline would be the finally touch.......i likes.......

I had to give up the Chucks for PF Flyers. The Chucks have no arch support. Old feet. I don't know if my hand is steady enough to pinstripe. It's a cool idea though. I like the red. Might have to find somebody to do it. Thanks for the good words.

Well I'm done for now.
DSC02777.jpg

DSC02778.jpg

DSC02780.jpg

DSC02785.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

The brakes are a little iffy and the seat needs raised for my comfort. The original stem is shot so I'll have to get a replacement. I'll be doing the fenders and drop stand later. The tires are what was on it. Not much tread left but they'll do. Front rim is a Schwinn as is the tire. Rear tire is an All State Safety tire, not sure of the rim. New Departure Model D rear hub. Troxel saddle. Bikes gonna make somebody happy...
ME!
Rides great.
Thanks for all I've learned from everyone on RRB.

Re: '35 Elgin ... Updated ... IT'S ALIVE!

Don't know if you've cleaned and greased your brake hub, but if you have, and the brakes are still not up to par, you can hone the plates on a whetstone or some very fine wet/dry sandpaper.

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to tear it down again. What part of the discs do I hone?

The flat faces. Also look where the teeth interface with the hub, if they have divots from the teeth you can file them flat.Takes a lot of heavy use to cause that, probably a non-issue. Oil instead of grease on the plates some times helps as well. Bike looks GREAT, btw.

Thanks for the compliment and advise. First time I've worked on one of these hubs.

thats a nice bike! looks good an clean.. and if your a hack, then da vinci was an amatuer. :lol:

Crusied 'er over by the old guy I bought it from. He liked it. Tried to sell me a '60 or '61 Schwinn Tiger. I'm glad I'm broke. Theres no more room in our apartment for anything else!

EDIT: I re threaded the original stem for a larger bolt and now it's holding the bars great. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

deorman said:
Don't know if you've cleaned and greased your brake hub, but if you have, and the brakes are still not up to par, you can hone the plates on a whetstone or some very fine wet/dry sandpaper.
That did the trick. Gave me a chance to get the wobble out of the rear end too. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back