3" wide tire on thule

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
so how do you guys transport bikes with wide tires? I have some thule roof top bike carriers and am trying to come up with something. initial thought was to just let the air out of the tire, and air up ehn I get to destination. then I thought spread the track, but then the strap probably wont reach and id hate to ruin the rack for some hokey fix. next Idea was to take a piece of 3" exhaust tubing section it, and weld something smaller to it to fit into the track. just use a bungee cord wrapped around the whole thing. just wondering if anyone else came up with something.

I have a rack on my trailer and use an older version of these: http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/roof/raptoraero
I cut off the portion that has the factory strap (still using the piece that goes into the channel) and then use heavy duty velcro and mount to the hold down where the old straps were to allow larger and smaller wheel/tires.

If you live near an army surplus they will have the velcro or if you have an REI local, their repair shop can make you up some customs.
My trailer bounces down the road the straps stay good and tight.

I come across the older version of that rack called the lockjaw on Craigslist for $10-20 ea all the time. Good thing about the velcro too is it wont scratch up your ride.

Back