3 Speed Internal Hub Worth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey!

I found a women's road bike (murray, think) from the 70s a few weeks ago at a flea market. It had a internal 3 speed rear hub in it. The bike was in decent shape, a little cleaning, and it would look good. I considered buying it, cleaning it up, and putting it on Craigslist. They wanted $45 for the whole bike, and I'm not sure if the 3 speed hub makes it worth that or not.

What if I were to buy it just for the hub, to use on another bike I'm building. Would it be worth that much on its own? assuming I could get another hub onto that bike? Maybe make a fixie out of it? Would I even be able to use this hub on a normal 26" wheel?

Thanks!

A couple of questions-

Is it a coaster brake? If it is a freewheel then you would have to have rim brakes.

What size is the rim/tire? 26x 1 3/8" then you probably cant put on any larger tires.

Cman, no it's not a coaster brake, I hadn't thought about that, but may not be a big issue depending on how I decide to use it. It's a skinny tire currently, but could I relace this hub into a 1.75" rim?

Misfit, I was thinking about converting it to a fixie, and then simply selling it. I should be able to get a decent 3 speed hub, and some cash outta that deal. I don't have any use for a women's fixie personally, but I could sell it locally, I'm pretty sure....

If nothing else, if I can verify the hub would be reusable on a wider rim (is this normal?) I could convert it to a fixie using another hub I have, and get a decent hub for future use.

Thanks guys.

iduno paying 45 just for the hub seems like a lot of work to me. being a murry i asume it is a shimano hub they are ok but still. i guess it would make a good parts bike though.

offer 25 bucks and see what happens. The problem with non coaster hubs, they can't be used on the old coaster frames easily.

It would be worthwhile if you can get your money back out.

Brakes would be hard to mount on the rear of a coaster frame without welding. The front is no problem cause you could replace the fork.

Back