3-speed hub with five casette gears?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got confused with drum brake hub that gave me a idea. My dad has three speed hub that he don't care and has 28 holes. I'm wondering if it's possible to threading 5 cassette gear on three speeds hub to make it 15 speeds? Will it shifting that well? I think 1st high gear would be too fast for 2nd low gear but not sure.

Most 3 speed hubs don't have threading for a cassette or freewheel.

Exceptions-

cman said:
Most 3 speed hubs don't have threading for a cassette or freewheel.

Exceptions-

Even if I found a way to machine them together. Will it shifting like a crap?

It should be fine, though there will be some overlap in the gears.

You will need to replace the axle with a much longer one and make sure you have enough spacing in the frame. The article by Sheldon Brown explains it well.

The toughest challenge of this was getting enough axle length. I used the longest Sturmey-Archer axle avaialable, but even that was far too short for a normal installation on the right side. I used a conical countersink drill bit to countersink a hole into the adaptor claw, then I bevelled the edges of the special axle nut so that they would fit into the countersink. This only gives 5 or 6 threads of engagement, but since the countersinking prevents the axle from being able to slide forward, that is enough. Axles on internal-gear hubs have a tendency to rotate if not secured solidly, so I took extra pains on the left side to use the appropriate anti-rotation washer, and two nuts, both tightened quite snugly.

I think my lbs has a pile in his storage room of the cassette style 3 speed Sram wheels. I could ask how much if you want but it sounds like your wanting a project.

CCR said:
I think my lbs has a pile in his storage room of the cassette style 3 speed Sram wheels. I could ask how much if you want but it sounds like your wanting a project.

Sure. I'm interested, if price is right. I wanted to add more speeds on my spyder monkey without sacrifice my chain cover to be easy rider.

Oh yea I forgot. I want to keep 28 spokes.

cman said:
The new hubs are all spaced at 135mm. You will have to spread that frame and realign the dropouts. Your frames current spacing is probably 110mm.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Yea that was my concerned. However back frame look like it was bend to narrow it. I wasn't sure if it's factory bend or was bend by accident or purpose but my wheel with five gear sitting straight on it

There are also some 2 cog freewheels running around too, I think i had one with a 17t and a 20t on it a while back, Surly used to make

It all can be done. Try riding the bike (spidermonkey?) first then decide. Usually on a cruiser bike anything more than 5 speeds is not used.

CCR said:
There are also some 2 cog freewheels running around too, I think i had one with a 17t and a 20t on it a while back, Surly used to make

Sorry my bike vocabulary is lacking. I dunno what this mean. Maybe I need to find bike dictionary book. Lol

dingle.jpg

I've got a similar dilemma. I would like to use a Shimano 7-speed hub, mounted to the frame between the bottom bracket and the tire. I will add a pair of dropouts to the frame to mount the hub. One chain transfers power to the hub, another chain leads to the back tire with a single-speed gear hub.
For this to work, the Nexus 7 hub must mount a disc brake rotor (not a problem), and two single-speed gears to accommodate the two chains. My bike is still in the design phase. Is this possible?

Basically, this is what I'm talking about. I want a Nexus 7 with disc brake in this exact location. Feasable?

iRide Custom Bicycles said:

Whoever built this bike, I hope you don't mind me using your photo for an example. It's an awesome bike, BTW. 8^D

Back