3 piece crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to remove a 3 piece crank without the proper tools to do so. I was able to get the bolts off the crank arms but can not get the crank arms off the crank(the square part). I assume once the crank arms are off and the sprocket removed, all that is required is to remove the large nuts holding it in? Thanks for your help.

Hi, worked in a bike shop 20 plus years. The bolts come out with any most likely 15 mm socket wrench. However they press the crank arms onto the spindle when they were tightened. Without a pulley tool which goes through the now open holes where the bolts were it will be just about impossible to get them off.go to your LBS and let them take it off for you. We charge usually 5 bucks to do it.
Charlie

While I believe in giving the LBS some love ( I bought my tires, tube and bearing from them), mine is mainly focused on Road Bikers (most of the bikes are $1000 and up in the place). Does anyone have any pictures of how the tool works. Can someone take some pic's with the tool in use. I am pretty handy at fabing my own tools(I know cheaper to buy but more fun to make on the lathe, mill, welder, grinder, etc... ).

Thanks, that was just what i needed.

Does anyone know the thread pattern (Pitch and size) for the large threaded piece that threads into the crank arm? Thanks.

Patrick

take it to the lbs as suggested.

My closest lbs sells bikes that are $15,000+. last time I needed a tool, I went in and asked to buy one, he didn't have it, but reached up and handed me his, and said bring it back Monday. I bought a whole set from him a week later!

Back