3 Piece crank to 3G Cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I am in the beginning process of a bike build and am wondering if anyone has used the crank set up listed below and to verify that it is compatible with my project. I am looking for an affordable set up that looks good and will give a smooth ride. The frame is a cruiser 3G with standard American one piece crank. Thanks!

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/452660/Sunday_Saker_Cranks.html

You'll need American BB cups... Not sure if you'll be able to find them sold a la carte, but you could always buy an American BB set (for 19mm cranks) and keep the mid bearings for when the others wear out.

You'll also need a hat spacer for 15/16" to 19mm to use the existing front sprocket, or buy a different front sprocket for 19mm spindles...

You can generally run any 3-piece crank on an old American-cupped frame. I run a BB converter (fitted cups with standard threaded BB interface) which allows you to run a tapered
square BB which is compatible with any square tapered
crankset. Then choose your bb spindle length based on the clearance your frame requires with the crank you have chosen.

You can generally run any 3-piece crank on an old American-cupped frame. I run a BB converter (fitted cups with standard threaded BB interface) which allows you to run a tapered
square BB which is compatible with any square tapered
crankset. Then choose your bb spindle length based on the clearance your frame requires with the crank you have chosen.

The OP linked us to a BMX style crank, which won't work with a threaded adaptor, and comes with the spindle included. The only problem running the cranks listed in the OP is that it comes with a "mid" bb set; you'd need an "american" 19mm set to run that in a 3g with an American-sized bb shell.

Yep. 2 sets of 175mm, one in raw aluminum, the other black, picked them up from a buddy months ago, turned out I couldn't use them for what I wanted. =(

The OP linked us to a BMX style crank, which won't work with a threaded adaptor, and comes with the spindle included. The only problem running the cranks listed in the OP is that it comes with a "mid" bb set; you'd need an "american" 19mm set to run that in a 3g with an American-sized bb shell.

808 is correct....once you commit to that bmx bb and crank, you may have a tougher time fitting it to your frame because of the limited choices of spindle length(chainstay clearance). It may be easier to stick with traditional square-taper cranks. The BMX cranksets are not as flexible as square taper cranks in terms of compatibility...

808 is correct....once you commit to that bmx bb and crank, you may have a tougher time fitting it to your frame because of the limited choices of spindle length(chainstay clearance). It may be easier to stick with traditional square-taper cranks. The BMX cranksets are not as flexible as square taper cranks in terms of compatibility...

To be fair, though, BMX cranks will clear anything other than a fatbike's stays, and the chainline will line up with a coaster, track hub, bmx hub, and most IGHs at or under 120mm. Spacers allow you to fine-tune the chainline. I have run BMX 3pc on Worksman INBs, which are pretty fat at the stays, and they got plenty of clearance to spare. Some manufacturers (eg, Profile) will offer several different spindle lengths for different applications. Honestly, for cruisers running tires at 3" or less, I'd prefer the BMX cranks over anything square-taper by a mile. Stronger, looks tougher, will fit an American BB shell without adaptors....less guesswork with spindles.

Yep. 2 sets of 175mm, one in raw aluminum, the other black, picked them up from a buddy months ago, turned out I couldn't use them for what I wanted. =(

Yeah, but those are hott cranks, though! I guess you couldn't get them to clear on the Walmart fattie without pushing the chainline out waaaaaay too far? No worries; i'm sure you'll find some good projects to run those on....

Thanks for the replys! I am new to this type of swap. I am amazed at all the different types of crank sets and bearing possibilities there are.

Yeah, it's really crazy and there's sooooooo many different "standards" and so much to learn. Most folks pick one or 2 set-ups that work for them, and stick with that. But, messing with old and/or weird bikes, you're going to run into a lot of oddball stuff..... (Luckily, 3g isn't weird as far as standards go.... )

Latest posts

Back