3 piece Crank Removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I want to remove a 3 piece crank but I can't :? I read in the "How to Manual" that you need a special tool. Is there anyway I can take it out without it :?:
The crank is on this bike :D
004-1.jpg

Pretty much the only way to get it off is the tool. You can beat them off but they won't be useable.

The tool is well worth buying. But if money is a problem, why not take it to a bike shop and just ask them nicely to remove it for you. Chances are they will do it for free. I have done this numerous times for removing freewheels that I dont have the right tool for.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to my LBS :lol: Thanks for the help :wink:

Lol

I just went through a battle with 5 or 6 of them.
GET THE PARK TOOL!!!

Best
rc

I have been able to remove those OCC cranks without the tool. Those cranks are steel . . . might have something to do with me being able to remove them. You need to remove the chain guard first. Then loosten the bolts about two full turns. Lay the bike on its side. Grab the crank near where the pedal attaches, and while sitting on the frame, pull and push the crank up and down. It fits on a tapered shaft, so you just need to work at it. The first several times, you might not see or feel any movement, but unless the cranks are rusted on, you should be able to get them off. Prying on them will NOT do the job. Remember that the sprocket is afixed to the right crank and it will stay on the crank. Once you feel the crank move, remove the bolt and you got it! I have removed the cranks from 4 different OCC choppers this way.
Aluminum cranks are a different story . . . you'll need the tool!

Get the correct tool, leave all other methods to the Philistines.

YOU DO NOT NEED THE TOOL FIREPROOF KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.HE IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE,AND ONE OF THE SMARTEST GUYS I KNOW.TRUST ME HE IS NO PHILISTINE.WE CAN DO WITHOUT THAT KIND OF FANCY TALK AROUND HERE.

im not gonna say you have to have the tool, but wouldnt you use it enough over time to justify the expense? im a tool junkie (that didnt sound right!), so i can always justify it personaly. if nothing else, seems like alot of you connecticut fellas here, surely youre close to someone with a remover. again, i dont want in the controversy of weather its a necesity or not,just trying to help.

Back