29's on a Worksman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well add my name to the list of Worksman junkies bitten my our infamous Mr. Chuck-inz.
I purchased frame/headset and fork yesterday, so the search for the build parts begins.

So, my question. Has anyone been able to fit 29er a wheelset into this platform? I'm 6'-3" and have 2 other 29er'that fit me well, so it occurred to me to build a 29er Worksman. Would it be worth the trouble of lengthening the forks and chainstays if needed?

Wadda ya think??

The frame size would be the same, the pedals would be higher off the ground but still you won't get any more length to the seat. You need to lower the BB somehow to make room for a tall rider.

Here it is, looks good!
e0149611e19a35961c2138e690603fad.jpg

I have a ~1998 stock frame and fork of the Newsgirl model (ING), which came with 26 x 1.75" tires. I swapped out its mismatched steel and aluminum wheel set for a Shimano 3-speed with 26" Alex Y3000 like rims (30 mm?), and it is able to accommodate 26 x 2.0" tires - cream Continental Retro rides, along with Velo Orange 60mm (2.36") fenders.

If you have the current unicrown fork, it will fit 29s without any mods. The tear triangle is where it gets tight. I mocked up some 29x2.1 knocked in there. It fit with no Clearance to spare... It wouldn't turn without lots of rubbing. You might be able to run 2.0 but it might be best if you modify the chain stays to accept the wider tire. You won't need to lengthen the stays... It clears vertically but not laterally.

I agree that the bigger wheels will not make it a bigger bike. You'll wanna hunt down a M2600, with a 2" longer seat tube, for that. The top tube and wheel base are still the same as the standard INB with the 18" seat tube though...

Back