26in wheels in a 24in frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most of my experiences, it's boiled down to the type of frames or the tire width or tread pattern. I once took a 20" mt. bike and cut the cross piece on the rear triangle out, then I also extended the front forks and I was able to run some 26"ers on the bike. The seat has to be raised really high because of the pedal/bottom barcket height. It's very rideable and very fast, but getting on and off can really irritate your "boys"! :lol:
Chainy

i have no probs putting 26's on a 24 frame. works for me an using a 24 fork.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

It might partly depend on whether fenders were in place, too, and what size tire you had on each wheel. I haven't actually checked dimensions, but maybe a 24" tire is not exactly 2" smaller than a 26" tire, either.

stephen said:
Not something i'm doing but just curious if anyone has?

I did purely by accident. Bought a 66 Phantom frame that had 1 chinese 26" frt wheel. When I put the tires on it I realized it was a 24"! Had to mildly grind the fender mount, space the frt dropouts, and put the rear wheel to the very back of the dropout(with a halflink in the chain), but it works, plus all the stuff in the tread gets knocked off. :)
It's kinda' cool 'cause it makes the wheels look huge!

phantom66.jpg

clrnc.jpg

take a look at Black Wicked in the buildoff. it has 26" wheels on it an a coaster brake. thats a 24 frame an fork. put a 26" fender on the rear yesterday an works fine. those are 26x1.75 tires.

Outlaw 8)

JoKeR63 said:
stephen said:
Not something i'm doing but just curious if anyone has?

I did purely by accident. Bought a 66 Phantom frame that had 1 chinese 26" frt wheel. When I put the tires on it I realized it was a 24"! Had to mildly grind the fender mount, space the frt dropouts, and put the rear wheel to the very back of the dropout(with a halflink in the chain), but it works, plus all the stuff in the tread gets knocked off. :)
It's kinda' cool 'cause it makes the wheels look huge!

phantom66.jpg

clrnc.jpg
why not grind it down a little bit.

cman said:
Joker that is crazy tight. I like the paintjob. I bet that is easy to pedal.

Yep, I'm old, so I tend to gear my single speeds that way. I wanted it for cruising, when you only have one gear, you had better get it right. :D
It's also one of my better hillclimbers.

stephen said:
Yes, i've looked at loads of bikes i've seen around and most would take a bigger wheel.

Chainsaw, you got any pictures of that bike?

:)

Sorry I didn't see this reply until now.

NokNok in the beginning ....
2006_0104noknok0020.jpg

A little cutting and grinding .....
2006_0105noknok20031.jpg

Some more enhancements ....
2006_0105noknok20037.jpg

She's gone thru her change and here she is .....
2007_0720noknok0001.jpg

2007_0720noknok0002.jpg

Got a couple of hundred miles on her before some giant butt at the bike shop snapped her seatpost off, tore up the brakes and stripped the handlebars. She made it back on the road for her second Hamilton Cruise.
hamiltonpixiejousting091.jpg

DSCF2346.jpg

She suffered some scars and scratches along the way. So she's about to get a face lift later this year. NokNok will be sporting some slightly abused SPIN Tri Spokes wheels and a mini bannana seat! Will post her new photo shoot when she's done. Thanks for the interest,
Chainy

Back