26 X 1 5/8 W/0 Made In Japan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this wheel used with hopes of putting a balloon tire on it for a build. It looks nice and wide. Wider than my Chinese alloy rims with balloon tires. Today I tried to put on an old mtn bike tire 26 X 1.95 knobby. I failed. Is this a weird size rim?

Thanks for any help, Mick

I read that a few weeks ago and the main thing I got out of it was that 1 3/4" does not equal 1.75". He goes on to say they will not interchange. I thought he was nit-picking. I did not know that will-not-interchange means will-not-interchange.

Well, I have not heard of 1 5/8" either but I'm Rat Rodding. if it-will-go, that means it-will-go.

Bummed, Mick

BTW, that's what the rim is marked by the stem hole; 26 X 1 5/8 W/O (what is W/0?)

can you find the BSD number on the tire or rim? 622mm, 559mm, 571 mm etc....... this will at least help find the correct size.

cman said:
can you find the BSD number on the tire or rim? 622mm, 559mm, 571 mm etc....... this will at least help find the correct size.

My old set that I was trying to re-use is a 559. I replaced them with a set of 2.125 from forum bro chimichanga. They fit the Chinese alloy wheels fine (not the Japanese wheel in question).

flatflip said:
He goes on to say they will not interchange. I thought he was nit-picking. I did not know that will-not-interchange means will-not-interchange.

Sheldon wasn't nitpicking. Will not interchange definately means will not interchange. If you reread the article and follow the various links to his other pages, you'll find that there are several different sizes that could be referred to as 26" that do not interchange. 1.75 vs 1-3/4 is just one scenario. 1-3/8" is different still, and Schwinn 1-3/8" is even different (but same as British 1-1/4"). Bike tire sizing standards are confusing and somewhat unstructured, and work completely different from car tire sizing standards.

If you don't know the ISO dimension of the rim in question, then I'd suggest wrapping a tape measure around the bead seat diameter and dividing by pi. Otherwise, you're only guessing what might fit.

Thanks Guys for the help. What I do know is that the tires I have and the tires I want to use will not fit. I will be more careful in my next wheel purchase.

Thanks, Mick :cry:

cman said:
In the land of bike tires, fractions and decimals are never interchangable.

never say 'never'... :D

Schwinn 26x1 1/2 is 650b

walmart hybrid 28x1 5/8 is 700x35/38

and of course a 29er is just a beefy 700c...

:mrgreen:

Bendix said:
cman said:
In the land of bike tires, fractions and decimals are never interchangable.

never say 'never'... :D

Schwinn 26x1 1/2 is 650b

walmart hybrid 28x1 5/8 is 700x35/38

and of course a 29er is just a beefy 700c...

:mrgreen:

And I have seen a S7 marked tire with 1.75 on it. I guess just a good rule of thumb. :wink:

I think the bottom line is that bicycle tire sizes are based on folklore rather than any actual measurement! :mrgreen:

Bendix said:
I think the bottom line is that bicycle tire sizes are based on folklore rather than any actual measurement! :mrgreen:

That's about the whole of it. I know this has confused a lot of people that simply wanted to replace a tire without becoming knighted in bicycle repair...

expjawa said:
I know this has confused a lot of people that simply wanted to replace a tire without becoming knighted in bicycle repair...

you don't need to know much. just to ignore all the stupid old imperial measurements and only take notice of The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (ETRTO) numbers. in other words - go metric and stop having .... ups. :lol:

Back