26 Inch Shelby Eagle Girls Bike FINAL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up this morning at a local estate auction. My fiance has been wanting a cruiser, so I figured I would fix up an oldie for her. Not sure she will be thrilled with the color combo on this one, but it was a good deal. I'll probably replace the wheels and get some new white walls for it. It's missing the headlight on the fender, but I know what the original looked like. I may try to track down a new one. Any ideas on value for an old Shelby.

As purchased:
P5150003.jpg

After a wash, but no "deep cleaning":
P5150007.jpg

Re: 26 Inch Shelby Eagle Girls Bike

Nice score. Cleaned up great. Hopefully you can talk her into that color combo.

No, there isn't a repaint in store for it. I'm not really sure what's in store for this one to tell you the truth. It's not in perfect condition, there are some dents, dings and scratches. I guess you could say it has a nice patina. I'm trying to track down a donor bike at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army for some 26" wheels and I found some tires through Memory Lane. I'm pretty sure that I can recover the seat and repaint the spring mechanism. Those are just some ideas that I'm toying with. Nothing is set in stone other than, NO PAINT. From what I've read all the pinstriping on these was done by hand at the factory. Anyone have any ideas on age. I've found similar bikes online in the boys model from '48-'49. Sound right? Living in Ohio it's kinda nice to own a piece of Ohio's bicycling heritage.

I'm considering redoing the wheels on this bike, but I've never laced spokes before. Is it worth it to try to do it myself. I'm always willing to learning something new.

cman said:
Try lacing yourself. It is not hard to learn and very rewarding. I learned to lace in the last year and have done 5 wheels so far. I wouldnt try a wheel for a MTB or roadie.

My thoughts exactly.

You have nothing to loose but time by trying. Worse case you end up taking them to a professional.

Nice Shelby! Those are some of my favorites. Glad to hear NO PAINT. You are correct - those were done by hand at the factory. Your dating is about right on....the rear rack and chainguard are the keys. I have 5 Shelbys, two 1939's, and 3 1948-1949's. Yours is in GREAT shape! Enjoy!

Finally found a donor bike for a set of wheels at my LBS. Rear is actually a red band Bendix totally worth the $35 I paid for the entire donor. Front axle was snapped but they gave me a brand new one to put in. I put some fresh tubes and new white-walls on as well. Took her out after I got it together and took a quick spin. It took a little getting used to after riding Sting-Rays for so long. Kinda like driving a Ferrari and then getting in a Hummer for a spin. I covered the seat myself with some faux leather I picked up at Wal-Mart.

Before:
P5150003.jpg

After:
P6270011.jpg

sking1973 said:
Finally found a donor bike for a set of wheels at my LBS. Rear is actually a red band Bendix totally worth the $35 I paid for the entire donor. Front axle was snapped but they gave me a brand new one to put in. I put some fresh tubes and new white-walls on as well. Took her out after I got it together and took a quick spin. It took a little getting used to after riding Sting-Rays for so long. Kinda like driving a Ferrari and then getting in a Hummer for a spin. I covered the seat myself with some faux leather I picked up at Wal-Mart.

Before:
P5150003.jpg

After:
P6270011.jpg
wow nice job on the bike. Did you repaint it?

chimichanga said:

Nope, just a lot of elbow grease. The pictures make it look better than it is, although it isn't bad for 60 years old. It has it's fair share of scratches and paint chips to be sure. I couldn't paint it though considering that I've seen so many of these old bikes in such terrible shape. The only thing I painted was the underside and springs of the seat.

sking1973 said:
chimichanga said:

Nope, just a lot of elbow grease. The pictures make it look better than it is, although it isn't bad for 60 years old. It has it's fair share of scratches and paint chips to be sure. I couldn't paint it though considering that I've seen so many of these old bikes in such terrible shape. The only thing I painted was the underside and springs of the seat.
great job on it!

I've got a buddy wanting to get into classic bicycles and would like to buy this '48 Shelby off me. I would like to get what I have in it back, but don't want to sell myself short either. It's all original except for the chain and seat cover. I'm keeping the new wheels and tires, but including the originals with the sale. What's a bike like this going for generally?

Back